Vernita D. Hairston, MD
Vernita Hairston, M.D., joined the faculty of the University of Kansas Medical Center in 2013 as a clinical assistant professor.
Dr. Hairston received her medical degree from the University of Maryland Medical System in Baltimore and completed a residency in neurology at the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Cleveland, Ohio. In addition, she finished fellowships in neuromuscular medicine at the University of Pennsylvania and in neurorehabilitation at the University of Maryland.
Dr. Hairston is board certified by the Academy of Psychiatry and Neurology in neurology and spinal cord medicine.
Education and Training
- BA, Biochemistry, Harvard/Radcliffe Colleges
- MD, medicine, Univ. of Maryland-Baltimore, Baltimore, MD
- Internship, Internal Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland , Ohio
- Residency, Neurology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
- Clinical Fellowship, Clinical Neuromuscular, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Other, Neurorehabilitation, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- Maryland Board of Physicians
- Medical License, Kansas State Board of Healing Arts
- Neurology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Neurorehabilitation, American Society of Neurorehabilitation
- Spinal Cord Injury Medicine, American Board of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine
- Rehabilitation Hospital of Overland Park, Medical Executive Committee, Ad-Hoc Member, 2020 - 2021
- National Medical Association, Member, 2018 - Present
- National Medical Association, Ad-Hoc Member, 2018 - 2019
- Myasthenia Gravis Association, Member, 2003 - 2021
- Academy of Spinal Cord Professionals, Member, 1999 - Present
- American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine, Member, 1993 - 2019