Creating a Caring Community at Washington High School
Bailey Davilena, English Teacher
Washington High School
Are we stressed at Washington High School?
Students will learn about issues related to the isolation of mental health issues. Students will be able to create a safe space for other students who are experiencing depression, stressor anxiety that is directly affecting their lives.
- Students will be able to conduct sustained research over a self-generated question gathering and integrating multiple sources of information. Analysis specifying:
- Evaluate multiple sources of information and media
- Assess strengths and limitations of multiple sources of information
- Synthesize multiple sources on a topic to create a unified whole and understanding
- Students will be able to write arguments to support claims in an analysis of substantive topics or texts analysis:
- Introduce precise, knowledgeable claim(s), establish the significance of the claim(s)
- Use valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence
- Distinguish the claim(s) from alternate or opposing claims
- Develop claim(s) and counterclaims fairly and thoroughly, supplying the most relevant evidence
- Point out the strengths and limitations in a manner that anticipates the audience’s knowledge level, concerns, values, and possible biases.
- Provide a concluding statement or section that follows from and supports the argument presented.
Unit Lesson Plan
A presentation of the CDC report will be presented, and we will answer the two questions below.
- Increase of public figure suicides
- What is a center for disease report?
- What does the CDC report mean for us?
- Computer, internet copies of the CDC report
Students will connect the opening with the driving question, goal and objectives. They will complete a reflection sheet and have a discussion.
- Cry for help film
- Reflection and discussion
Lesson 2 Resources
- Computer, internet, reflection sheet, journals, and film response sheet.
Students will talk about depression and fill out a worksheet. They will discuss the worksheet and then create a poster.
- Explaining depression
- How depression is treated
- Recognizing and deal with depression
Lesson 3 Resources
- Computer, internet, worksheet, poster materials and markers
In this lesson, we will review discussion from the previous class. Then, students will conduct research on other aspects of mental illness.
Students will be able to:
- Introducing new concepts relating to mental health
Lesson 4 Resources
- Computer, internet
Students will learn what Survey Monkey is. They will take out a brief survey to familiarize students with Survey Monkey. They will evaluate responses and create a new survey.
- Determining which information that had been gathered is more critical than other
Lesson 5 Resources
- Computer, internet, survey, access to “SurveyMonkey”