Tresza D. Hutcheson, Ph.D., M.A., NCTTP
Tresza Hutcheson, PhD, MA, NCTTP, started specializing in tobacco cessation during her time as Clinical-Health psychology graduate student at the University of Kansas. This led to a 20+ year career in the field which has included providing treatment and education for multiple populations. She has treatment expertise with telemedicine and telephone-based counseling within clinical research settings and also has provided treatment in diverse community settings including leading groups at community mental health centers and college campuses, as well as providing individual treatment for hospitalized patients and employees. Her expertise has allowed her to take multiple leadership roles, including serving as a clinical supervisor on clinical research grants, contributing to the development of treatment protocols and assisting with fidelity monitoring for randomized clinical trials, and conducting quality improvement initiatives at the KU Cancer Center. She is a nationally-certified tobacco treatment specialist and currently serves as an Instructor for the University of Kansas Tobacco Treatment Specialist Training and as the curriculum coordinator which included aiding the program in gaining national certification in 2020.
Dr. Hutcheson has a passion for promoting health equity which has fueled her work on several projects, including serving on the Communications team for a state-wide grant RADx-Up Kansas, which focused on increasing COVID-19 testing for underserved populations. Growing up in a rural area herself, she has a special interest for helping these populations have better access to specialized health care services and served as a research coordinator on two large NIH funded grants. In 2020, she joined the team at the JUNTOS Center for Advancing Latino Health and works on multiple cross-disciplinary projects there. She serves as a clinic manager for the genetic services clinic offered through the Center for Genetic Services and Health Equity. She leads a grant for a youth-focused tobacco prevention program in partnership with the Wyandotte Health Department. She also uses her expertise in quantitative and qualitative analysis and serves as the Center's data analyst.
Dr. Hutcheson has also been heavily engaged in training staff, teaching, and helping others toward their professional goals. At her current role with Frontiers Clinical and Translational Science Institute at the University of Kansas, she serves as the CTSA Administrative Director and training navigator for the scholars and trainees.
Education and Training
- PhD, Clinical Psychology, University of Kansas, Kansas
- MA, Clinical Psychology, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas
- BA, Psychology, DePaul University, Chica, Illinois
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- National Certificate of Tobacco Treatment Practice, Association for Addiction Professionals
Dr. Hutcheson's research interests include program evaluation for promoting health equity, qualitative research methodology, and research aimed at promoting healthy lifestyle changes for disease management, mental health disorder treatment, pain management, and improving overall quality of life.
- Sheffer, Christine., E., Al-Zalabani, Abdulmohsen, Aubrey, Andree, Bader, Rasha, Beltrez, Claribel, Bennett, Susan, Carl, Ellen, Cranos, Caroline, Darville, Audrey, Greyber, Jennifer, Karam-Hage, Maher, Hawari, Feras, Hutcheson, Tresza, Hynes, Victoria, Kotsen, Chris, Leone, Frank, McConaha, Jamie, McCary, Heather, Meade, Crystal, Messick, Cara, Morgan, Susan., K., Morris, Cindy., W., Payne, Thomas, Retzlaff, Jessica, Santis, Wendy, Short, Etta, Shumaker, Therese, Steinberg, Michael, Wendling, Ann. 2021. The Emerging Global Tobacco Treatment Workforce: Characteristics of Tobacco Treatment Specialists Trained in Council-Accredited Training Programs from 2017 to 2019. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH AND PUBLIC HEALTH, 18 (5)
- Ellerbeck, Edward., F., Cox, Lisa., Sanderson, Hui, Siu-kuen., Azor, Keighley, John, Hutcheson, Tresza., D., Fitzgerald, Sharon., A., Cupertino, A.., Paula, Greiner, K.., Allen, Rigotti, Nancy., A., Miller, Nancy., Houston, Rabius, Vance, Richter, Kimber., P.. 2019. Impact of Adding Telephone-Based Care Coordination to Standard Telephone-Based Smoking Cessation Counseling Post-hospital Discharge: a Randomized Controlled Trial. JOURNAL OF GENERAL INTERNAL MEDICINE, 34 (12), 2804-2811
- Ellerbeck, Edward., F., Nollen, Nicole, Hutcheson, Tresza., D., Phadnis, Milind, Fitzgerald, Sharon., A., Vacek, James, Sharpe, Matthew., R., Salzman, Gary., A., Richter, Kimber., P.. 2018. Effect of Long-term Nicotine Replacement Therapy vs Standard Smoking Cessation for Smokers With Chronic Lung Disease A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA NETWORK OPEN, 1 (5)
- Tague, Caleb, Richter, Kimber., P., Cox, Lisa., S., Keighley, John, Hutcheson, Tresza, Fitzgerald, Sharon., A., Ellerbeck, Edward., F.. 2017. Impact of Telephone-Based Care Coordination on Use of Cessation Medications Posthospital Discharge: A Randomized Controlled Trial. NICOTINE & TOBACCO RESEARCH, 19 (3), 299-306
- Nollen, Nicole., L., Hutcheson, Tresza, Carlson, Susan, Rapoff, Michael, Goggin, Kathy, Mayfield, Carlene, Ellerbeck, Edward. 2013. Development and functionality of a handheld computer program to improve fruit and vegetable intake among low-income youth. HEALTH EDUCATION RESEARCH, 28 (2), 249-264
- Hutcheson, Tresza., D., Greiner, K.., Allen, Ellerbeck, Edward., F., Jeffries, Shawn., K., Mussulman, Laura., M., Casey, Genevieve., N.. 2008. Understanding smoking cessation in rural communities. JOURNAL OF RURAL HEALTH, 24 (2), 116-124
- Hutcheson, Tresza., D, Sanderson Cox, Lisa, Nazir, Niaman, Greiner, K. Allen, Ellerbeck, Edward., F. 2006. Association between patient characteristics and depth of tobacco-related discussions with primary care physicians . Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 31 Supplement, S129
- Olson, BD, Jason, LA, Ferrari, JR, Hutcheson, TD. 2005. Bridging professional and mutual-help: An application of the transtheoretical model to the mutual-help organization. APPLIED & PREVENTIVE PSYCHOLOGY, 11 (3), 167-178
- Hutcheson, Tresza., D, Mussulman, Laura., M, Nazir, Niaman, Jeffries, Shawn., K, Greiner, K. Allen, Ellerbeck, Edward., F.. 2005. The association of motivation and setting a quit date in rural smokers, 29 Supplement, S154