Taryn A. Lentz, Ph.D.
Dr. Taryn Acosta Lentz is a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at The University of Kansas Medical Center. She provides mental health services to Women’s Health patients of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at The University of Kansas Health System. Dr. Acosta Lentz is currently working toward certification as a Sex Therapist by The American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT).
After graduating from Cornell University with a Bachelor's of Fine Arts, Dr. Acosta Lentz, reconciled several years devoted to her own artistic practice, a passion for diversity and social justice, and a life-long interest in observing human behavior by earning her doctorate in Counseling Psychology from the University of Missouri - Kansas City, an APA-accredited doctoral training program. She completed an APA-accredited doctoral internship at Florida International University’s Counseling and Psychological Services. Dr. Acosta Lentz initially joined the faculty at the University of Kansas Medical Center as the Psychologist – Multicultural Specialist at Counseling and Educational Support Services.
Dr. Acosta Lentz offers individual and couples/family therapy, provide sex therapy, facilitate clinical hypnosis for pain, and write hormone replacement therapy and gender-confirming surgery referral letters in accordance with WPATH standards of care. She is deeply committed to helping patients heal and thrive as they cope with sexual concerns and reproductive challenges, such as infertility, high risk pregnancy, postpartum depression/anxiety, fetal/infant loss, and menopause.
Education and Training
- BFA, Painting, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- Other, Counseling and Guidance, The University of Missouri - Kansas City, Kansas City, MO
- PhD, Counseling Psychology, The University of Missouri - Kansas City, Kansas City, MO
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, Counseling Psychology, The University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City , KS
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- Licensed Psychologist, Kansas Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board
- The American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists , Member, 2020 - Present
Dr. Acosta Lentz's involvement in two qualitative studies on the career and life experiences of transgender individuals has deeply informed her clinical work. She is passionate about providing mental health services to transgender patients and offer a safe therapeutic environment where they feel affirmed, respected, and appreciated for their courage and resolve.
- Lentz, Taryn., A., Brown, Chris. 2018. Mindfulness and health behaviors in college students: The moderating role of sleep. Journal of American College Health, 67 (6), 505-514. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/07448481.2018.1497638?journalCode=vach20
- Chris, Brown, Dashjian, Lauren ., T., Taryn, Acosta., J., Mueller, Conrad., T. , Kizer, Bobby ., E. , Transgrud, Heather., T.. 2013. Learning from the life experiences of male-to-female transsexuals. . Journal of GLBT Family Studies, 9, 105-128. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1550428X.2013.765247?journalCode=wgfs20
- Brown, Chris, Dashjian, Lauren., T. , Acosta, Taryn., J., Mueller, Conrad., T. , Kizer, Bobby ., E. , Transgrud, Heather., B. . 2012. The career experiences of male-to-female transsexuals. The Counseling Psychologist, 40 (6), 868-894. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0011000011430098?journalCode=tcpa