Documentation of Attendance for Pell Grant Recipients
Documentation of Attendance for Pell Grant Recipients:
When the Student Financial Aid Office (SFAO) receives notification that a student receiving a Pell Grant has withdrawn from any of his or her classes or failed any of his or her classes after financial aid funds have been disbursed. SFAO must determine if the student participated in an academically related activity in the course. Documentation of Attendance (DA) is used to determine what portion, if any, of their Pell Grant a student must repay.
1. SFAO contacts both students and faculty to gather DA information. Students are notified by email that they will need to provide documentation of attendance or participation in any academically related activity for the courses from which they withdrew. Faculty are also contacted by email and asked to document the student's attendance or participation in any academically related activity.
2. To resolve the Pell DA issue, the student may provide documentation to the SFAO demonstrating attendance in the courses at any part of the semester.
3. The student may document attendance by having an Instructor/ Professor from each course from which they withdrew submit DA information to the SFAO, documenting that the student began attendance.
4. The student may document attendance by having the Instructor/ Professor submit a list of dates of exams the student took or assignments the student completed by email from the Instructor/Professor's work email, by fax from the departmental fax machine, by campus mail in a sealed departmental envelope, or hand delivered in a sealed departmental envelope.
5. Additionally, the student can submit originals or copies of graded and dated tests, exams, quizzes, papers, homework assignments, or in-class assignments. The documentation must clearly identify the course name and number, the student's name, the date and the grade received. Any documentation provided will be kept in the student's permanent file.
6. Once attendance has been determined, the student will receive written notification if repayment is required and the process for repayment.