Skip to main content

Students Called to Active Duty

If you are called to active duty service after your classes start, there are several steps you can take to help ease both your leave from the University and your subsequent return.

1. Contact your academic advisor
You will want to discuss your leave with your advisor so that your department is aware of your situation, and so that you can work on a plan for your return. You or your advisor should also notify each of your instructors of your departure in writing. You will want to provide your advisor and your instructors reasonable notice if at all possible -- don't wait until your last date of attendance! If you need assistance contacting your department or if your deployment time does not allow for a meeting, please let us know and we can assist.

2. Contact your VA School Certifying Official
You will need to submit to your SCO a completed Active Military Duty Request to Withdraw form as well as a copy of your military orders once they have been served. Your SCO along with the Registrar's Office will be able to withdraw you from your classes as necessary and will update your VA benefits certification for the semester. Please note that the Registrar's Office will not be able to complete your request to withdraw until they have a copy of your military orders.

3. Review the Information Below

  • Money & Fees: A 100% adjustment in tuition and fees will be made for withdrawn classes. Partial refunds will be given when it is appropriate to award credit for some classes and not for others.
    Note: Refunds will not be immediately available. Refund checks will be sent to your forwarding address. For faster refunds, be sure you are signed up for direct deposit. You may contact Parking Services for information on your KUMC parking permit.
  • Transcript: The schedule published in the standard academic calendar will be used to determine whether the courses are canceled or whether a "W" will be recorded on your transcript.
    There will be no record of the reason for your cancelation or withdrawal. You will be able to document the date of your service via your military records.
  • Grading/Incompletes: These decisions are made by the faculty on the basis of the work done-to-date and the rules governing the course.
  • Financial Aid: You may elect to have your SCO contact Financial Aid for you, or you may want to contact Financial Aid yourself (especially if you have questions regarding your aid). Financial Aid will make adjustments to your aid package according to their guidelines.
  • Readmission: Contact your SCO when you are ready to return to KUMC. They will assist you with the readmission process in any way they can.

Additional questions? Don't hesitate to contact us at or (913) 588-7055!

Last modified: Oct 04, 2018