Skip to main content

Continuing and Returning Students

How to Use Your VA Educational Benefits

Every semester that you want to use your VA benefits, you will need to submit your Request for Certification of Military Benefits. Please note that you must be enrolled in your courses before you can submit your Request for Certification. You will need to complete page 1 of the form and list all of your courses for the semester on page 2. Your academic advisor will then need to sign the form, as will you. We will accept forms submitted from either the student or the academic advisor via email, fax, or turned in at our office in Dykes G035.

  • You will need to submit a new Request for Certification of Military Benefits every semester you wish to use your benefits at KUMC. If your schedule changes at any time during the semester -- regardless of whether you add or drop classes -- you will need to submit a new Request so that we may share this updated information with the VA.
  • After you submit your Request for Certification of Military Benefits and the School Certifying Official confirms they have all the required information and submits your certification to the VA, it takes an average of 4 weeks to receive your tuition and/or housing payments. Submitting your Request for Certification by the beginning of each semester will help ensure timely payment of your benefits.
  • After the School Certifying Official certifies your enrollment to the VA, it is up to the VA to process this enrollment and remit payment for tuition and/or housing to you and/or the university. If you have questions about the status of your payment, you can contact the VA by either Submitting a Question through the VA website (which requires you to log in), or by calling the GI Bill hotline at (888) GI-Bill1 (888-442-4551). General information and announcements about benefits and processing can be found on the GI Bill Website.


All students who are receiving VA educational benefits are eligible to have a deferment placed on their student financial account for the semester they are using benefits. A deferment will delay the due date for your tuition and fees to the 15th day of the last month of the semester. This will ensure that you will receive your benefits and can apply them to your student financial account before your tuition and fees are due.

Term Tuition/Fees Due
Fall December 15
Spring May 15
Summer August 15

In order for a deferment to be placed on your account, you must complete and submit the Request for Certification every semester. The School Certifying Official will then certify your enrollment to the VA and place the deferment on your account.Please note that you are under no obligation to use your deferment, and may pay your tuition and fees in full at any time. If you do not pay your tuition and fees by the deferred due date, you may incur late payment fees and holds that prevent future enrollment or request of transcripts may be placed on your account. If you feel you may have trouble paying your tuition and fees by the deferred due date, please contact us -- we are happy to help reach a solution before the due date.

Last modified: Sep 03, 2019