Skip to main content

Registrar's Office

Student Affairs > Registrar's Office > Current Students > Students Called to Active Military Duty

Students Called to Active Military Duty

This is information for students who pay fees for a term and are subsequently called to active duty after classes start (this does not include enlistments). Students serving in the National Guard or Reserves, who are called to active duty during an academic term, are entitled to receive a full refund of tuition and fees. Students who are drafted and must report for active duty during an academic term are also entitled to receive a full refund of tuition and fees. All refunds are subject to presentation of official documentation.

The first thing you must do is obtain an official Leave of Absence from your respective school. Once you have that completed, a signed copy must be presented to the Office of the Registrar along with the following: (1) A copy of your military orders (2) Forwarding address (es) (3) Name, address, and phone number of a contact (or your representative) (4) Your name as it appears on your KUMC records (5) Your KU ID number

Make sure you also contact the Student Financial Aid office which is on the 4th floor of the Student Center, (913) 588-5170, for information on money owed, money to be refunded, grace periods, or other related questions.

Tuition and Academic Record: Full tuition and fees will be refunded if you withdraw from all classes. Adjusted Academic refunds will be given if you are awarded credit for some courses and not others. The usual dates will be used to determine whether or not the courses are canceled or a "W' or "WF' is recorded. See the Timetable of Classes for details.

Academic Transcript: There will be no record of the reason for your cancellation or withdrawal on your academic transcript.

Transcript: You will be able to document the date of your service via military records.

Grading: This is a decision made by your instructors on the basis of the work completed to date and in conjunction with the rules governing the course. Please discuss this with your instructor (s) and if you have any difficulties, you should seek the assistance of the Dean's office in your school.

Readmission: If you withdraw after classes start and do not return the semester immediately following your discharge from active duty, you may be required to re-apply for admission. Please contact your appropriate school for details.

For additional assistance, contact:

Enrollment Services
Dykes Library - G035
Mail Stop 4005
The University of Kansas Medical Center
3901 Rainbow Boulevard
Kansas City, Kansas 66160-7190
(913) 588-7055

Last modified: Sep 11, 2018