CHATO Learning Outcomes
This module contains information on the importance, benefits and components of effective communication.
- Recognize the importance of communication to older adults.
- Identify barriers to communication in care of older adults.
- Distinguish between effective and ineffective communication strategies
This module contains information on common communication barriers and challenges, elderspeak communication and effective and ineffective communication strategies.
- Identify elderspeak and its potential negative messages.
- Contrast effective and ineffective communication strategies.
- Revise transcripts to reduce elderspeak and ineffective communication.
This module contains information on common problems during communication, guidelines for improving communication and characteristics of person-centered communication.
- Identify affirming communication.
- Critique communication in video recordings of nursing home staff-resident communication.
- Rewrite transcripts to reduce elderspeak and ineffective communication.
The course content is presented by Dr. Kristine Williams, RN, Ph.D. There are learning activities, discussion forums, list of resources, pre and posttests and evaluations at the end of the course. The practice activities were designed to provide opportunities to apply the knowledge and skills presented in the course, and a virtual discussion forum is available to share experiences and reflect with others.
A Certificate of Completion (three nursing contact hours) will be awarded on successful completion of this course and scoring 70 percent or higher on the posttest. If a participant does not receive 70 percent or greater on the posttest, he or she may review the material and re-take the posttest.