Apply for the Zimmerman Postdoctoral Fellowship, a two-year experience to create an individual career development plan.
The Zimmerman Postdoctoral Fellowship is designed to be a two-year experience with the second year’s contingency based on the fellow satisfying milestones of their first-year progress report. Early in their program, fellows will determine their strengths, weaknesses and training needs to create an individual career development plan (ICDP). The ICDP, along with input from the faculty mentor, will guide the individual training experience. Outcome metrics include publications, grants submitted/awarded and future professional appointments.
Postdoctoral fellows receive:
- $50,000 scholarship per semester ($100,000 annually divided over 2 semesters – this scholarship includes $2000 to be used for travel, pilot work, other scholarly endeavors).
- Completion of terminal research degree
- Ability to commit 100% effort to research and training activities
Step 1: Identify your School of Nursing Faculty mentor
One of the most important steps in applying is to identify a faculty research mentor. Please schedule a meeting with Dr. Polivka, Associate Dean for Research, to discuss potential faculty mentors, even if you have already identified a mentor.
Step 2: Complete the Application
- Personal Statement* should include:
- Your research focus and consistency of focus with at least one of the School of Nursing’s five research focus areas;
- mentor match;
- how the postdoctoral experience will assist in meeting your research career goals;
- type of anticipated support needed from your mentor and/or the School of Nursing;
- plans to submit for funding; and
- publication plans.
- *Personal statement should be no longer than two pages, double-spaced, one-inch margins, 11-point Arial or 12-point Times New Roman font.
- Current curriculum vitae (CV)
- Letters of support from:
- Dissertation chair
- KU School of Nursing faculty member indicating willingness to serve as your mentor and supporting your post-doctoral research plans
- Interview with Scholarship Selection Committee Members
Review of Applications
- Applications will be reviewed by the Scholarship Selection Committee comprised of the Ph.D. Program Director, Associate Dean for Research, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Chair of the School of Nursing Research Committee and Chair of the Ph.D. Advisory Council.
- Applicants will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Match with faculty research mentor
- Personal statement
- Letters of support
- Match with School of Nursing’s research focus areas
Applications due June 30, 2022 by 5:00pm CST.
Click link to access application https://kusurvey.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5judtNci8me9045
For additional information please contact:
Dr. Barbara Polivka
Associate Dean for Research
Recent Testimony from our Postdoctoral Zimmerman Scholar
"I am honored to have been selected as a KU School of Nursing Zimmerman Scholar. This is a two-year post-doctoral position designed for training and research experiences to foster the nurse scholar’s transition from student to independent researcher. My research interests are focused on head and neck cancer survivors. After the acute phase of treatment, they are left to navigate several long-term side effects which impact their lives both physically and psychologically. I am interested in developing and testing psychological and physical interventions designed to support this population long term. Working with my mentoring team, I am currently writing an K99/R00 application to test a multidisciplinary intervention which addresses both physical and psychological symptoms." - Andreanna Steinhoff, Zimmerman Scholar