Promotion and Tenure
Cycle Timelines: 2020-2021, 2021-2022
If you are considering applying for promotion, please review the following before deciding to move forward with registration:
- There is no minimum time frame to go up for promotion on the non-tenure tracks: clinical, clinical scholar, educator, research. The average time to go from assistant professor to associate professor is typically 5 years and is merit based.
- Review the Academic Rank Matrix for promotion requirements for all ranks and tracks.
- Review the two Domain Expectations documents for the requirements by Career Level and by Domain.
- After reviewing the Academic Rank Matrix and Domain Expectations, determine whether your accomplishments meet the requirements and expectations to substantiate promotion.
- Seek advice from your Department Chair, Division Director, and Department APT Committee Chair.
For additional details on applying for promotion and/or tenure, please visit the Applying for Promotion page.
- 2021 is your mandatory year to apply for promotion for the award of Tenure if you are on the Tenure Track and were hired (or received an extension) in 2016.
- Further details about Mandatory Reviews is available in the Tenure Track option on this page.
Please email Angie Basgall if you have questions or need additional information.
Feb 26, 2021