The prestigious Rainbow Award acknowledges our physicians and community preceptors who display outstanding attributes of professionalism and excellence in medicine and impart these characteristics to their students.
About the Rainbow Award
The Rainbow Award was established in 1998-1999 by the Medical Student Assembly in conjunction with the Dean of the School of Medicine to honor our heroes in medicine.
The distinguished Rainbow Award honors those individuals who exemplify the attributes of professionalism in medicine and share those qualities with the students whom they mentor.
Each year, medical students nominate those physicians who have impacted their educational experience and have given them a solid example of excellence in the field of medicine. Rainbow Award nominees are specifically recognized for possessing the following qualities and attributes:
- duty and service
- honor and integrity
- respect for patients, staff and students
Nominations are submitted by students and honorees are then selected by students. Students nominate five finalists and then vote for the ultimate award recipient.
- Nominees must be a member of KU School of Medicine physicians or community preceptors.
- Students recommend the faculty names with a statement justifying why they deserve to be recognized with the award.
- Nominations, all support materials and questions should be sent to the Student Voice Committee Chair.
- The student selection committee evaluates nominees by reviewing their personal questionnaire and CV.
- Five finalists are selected by student committee.
- Five finalists are required to complete a Rainbow Award Finalist questionnaire and are invited to submit their CV.
- The winner is selected from the list of five finalists by student body vote.
- The winner is announced at A Grand Affair, the annual award dinner and gala.
Award and Presentation
The past year recipient presents to the new winner. Honorees get an award certificate and trophy, and a short video highlighting their achievements is shared at the award dinner.
Gary Gronseth, M.D.
Kirk Miller, D.O.
Abebe Abebe, M.D.
Joseph LeMaster, M.D.
Jana Zaudke, M.D.
Michael Kennedy, M.D.
Sarah Taylor, M.D.
Gary Doolittle, M.D.
Deborah Clements, M.D.
Garold Minns, M.D.
Mark Meyer, M.D.
David Robbins, M.D.
Mary Duff, M.D.
Daniel Dickerson, M.D.
Vance R. Burns, M.D.
Steven Simpson, M.D.
Belinda A. Vail, M.D.
LeAnn Detar-Newbert, M.D.
Debra Smith, M.D.
Michael Moncure, M.D.
Linda Campbell, M.D.