The Academy of Medical Educators at the University of Kansas School of Medicine exists to promote excellence in medical education. To that end, the Academy supports programs designed to improve educational outcomes, including programs that aim to assist faculty members in the development of improved teaching skills, program development, curricular innovation, and educational leadership growth.
Membership in the Academy is an honor and is intended to recognize both achievement in promoting quality medical education and a desire to be part of an effort to build an ever-improving medical education system at the medical school. Membership in the Academy both recognizes a personal history of significant educational service in one or more of the following key elements of medical education at the University of Kansas School of Medicine and anticipates an ongoing commitment to help the current and next generation of the faculty in the school to continuously achieve improvement in one or more of these key elements:
- Teaching or mentoring of medical students, residents, fellows, graduate students, interns, fellows, post docs, or junior faculty members.
- Curriculum development, course development, or other educational program development or innovation.
- Educational program administration or leadership.
- Research into medical education methods, techniques, approaches, or innovations.
- Development of Continuing Medical Education resources.
- A significant role in advising/mentoring of students, other trainees, or faculty members.
Membership Application Process 2021
Faculty members who would like to be considered for membership in the Academy should prepare an application packet containing the following supporting materials:
- Completed Application Submission Form.
- A letter outlining the educational contributions made to medical education, interest in the Academy, and proposed plans for advancing one or more of the school's key elements of education.
- A current CV
- A sampling of my learner evaluations from teaching activities.
- A letter of support from a faculty member in the medical school who can attest to the applicant's qualifications and likelihood to continue advancing the cause of improving one of the key elements of medical education in the medical school. (A second letter, although not required, may be submitted at the discretion of the applicant.)
Application packets should be submitted by July 16, 2021 at 5 PM:
The materials should be sent electronically to Teresa Beacham (email@example.com).
Questions? Call: 913-588-7304
Selection for membership of applicants will be based upon past contributions to the educational mission of the school, commitment to the work of the Academy, and likely future contributions. Should someone not be selected in this application cycle they should not be discouraged from continuing to contribute to the school's educational mission and from applying again in a subsequent selection round.
Selection of membership in the Academy will be completed by August 13, 2021 and notification will occur thereafter.