Weekly core didactics are an integral part of the educational goals of the KU Obstetrics and Gynecology residency program. The didactic series is presented for the education of the residents and all residents are expected to attend the didactic sessions. Core didactics include a two year lecture series that cover core topics in Obstetrics, Gynecology and Primary Care. In addition to the core lectures, the conference time may include:
- Simulation: Multiple sessions are undertaken throughout the year to simulate surgical procedures and obstetrical emergencies. Some of the sessions may take place in the Zamierowski Institute for Experiential Learning. These include laparoscopic and robotic simulation, episiotomy repair, and PROMPT training for obstetrical emergencies.
- Narrative Medicine: An opportunity to reflect on narrative writings and their relation to medicine.·
- Colposcopy Conference: Review of colposcopy and pathology with the pathology department.
- Morbidity and Mortality: Review of Obstetric and Gynecologic case studies.
- Fetal Monitoring Strip Rounds: An interpretive study of fetal heart monitor strips for various situations and conditions.
Additional training series
- OB Case Conference: weekly review of obstetrical cases from the prior week to better understand indications for delivery and treatments of normal and abnormal pregnancies.
- GYN Case Conference: Learn to assess the preoperative workup necessary for common gynecologic problems and understand all options of treatment. Also, learn management of pregnancies of unknown location and ectopic pregnancies.
- Oncology Tumor Board: Learn the diagnosis, staging, and treatment of gynecologic malignancies.
- Journal Club: Departmental as well as Gynecology-Oncology and Maternal-Fetal Medicine Journal Clubs occur on a monthly or bi-monthly basis and review selected articles that have been submitted.
- Grand Rounds: Nationally recognized guest speakers lecture on current topics of interest that include medical knowledge, identification and treatment of various conditions, and professional growth and development.
- GME Core Competency Conference: a monthly series of speakers on a wide variety of topics that are aligned with accreditation competencies and hospital quality and safety initiatives.
- TEAM OR Training: For critical event communication.