Application for Admission
Direct Application for Admission
Students may apply directly to the Department for the Ph.D. degree program of study. Students carry out research in a specific area of Virology, Bacteriology, or Immunology and are prepared for careers in academic, governmental or industrial settings. Degree requirements include successful completion of course work and submission and defense of a thesis/dissertation based on original research carried out under the supervision of a department faculty member.
Application materials must include:
- Personal statement, including a description of prior research experience
- Transcripts from B.S., B.A. or Master's degree in microbiology, biological or life sciences
- GRE score report (preferred percentile scores are as follows: Verbal=50%, Quantitative = 70% and Analytical Writing =40%). GRE waived for 2021-22 school year.
- TOEFL or IELTS score report (applicants for whom English is her/his second language)
To apply for admission:
1. Submit your completed application (https://www.applyweb.com/kumc/index.ftl) together with the $60 non-refundable application fee. You will be asked to provide contact e-mail addresses for three references. After you submit your application, your references will then receive an automated e-mail with instructions for submitting their letter of recommendation through our online system.
2. Please notify us when you have submitted these graduate application materials by sending an email to email@example.com with the following information:
Attention: Graduate Study in Microbiology
Your First Name:
Your Last Name:
Your Email Address:
Research Area of Interest:
The Last Institution From Which You Received a Degree:
How You Learned About the Microbiology Graduate Program:
3. Request that one copy of your official transcripts from each college/university previously attended be sent to the following address:
Microbiology Graduate Program Admissions
3901 Rainbow Blvd.
Kansas City, KS 66160
Or if your institution offers electronic delivery of official transcripts, they can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Request that an official copy of your GRE and TOEFL or IELTS (for international applicants) score reports be sent to the above address. For direct reporting of GRE and TOEFL/IELTS scores, our institution code is 6895. Go to http://www.kumc.edu/international-programs/academic-english-requirements.html for a list of the minimum English proficiency requirements for admission to a graduate program at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
Deadlines: To receive preferred consideration, please complete your application and ensure we have received all materials by our application deadline of January 1, 2021. However, we will continue to accept applications until all positions have been filled. Once your completed application has been received it will be reviewed by the admissions committee.
Financial Aid: Students admitted in the Ph.D. program will receive a full tuition waiver and a research stipend in the amount of at least $27,540 per year. International students will be assessed an additional fee each semester by the Office of International Programs. Students are responsible for paying this fee.
Admission through the IGPBS Program
The Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Biomedical Sciences (IGPBS) admits pre-doctoral students with interests in all areas of basic biomedical research. The first year of the program involves course work in molecular and cellular biology and rotations in three laboratories. At the end of the first year, students who select an advisor with a primary appointment in Microbiology become members of the Ph.D. program of the Department of Microbiology, Molecular Genetics and Immunology. Please note that IGPBS has an earlier application deadline. Check http://www.kumc.edu/igpbs/how-to-apply.html for the current deadline.