Ryan Spaulding, Ph.D.
Research Associate Professor, Department of Biostatistics & Data Science
Vice Chancellor, Institute for Community Engagement, University of Kansas Medical Center
Communications Core Director, Kansas IDeA Network of Biomedical Research Excellence
B.S., Psychology, Management, Central Michigan University
M.S., Interpersonal & Public Communication, Central Michigan University
Ph.D., Communications Studies, University of Kansas
My research and administrative interests focus on the use of health technologies to improve health care, particularly in rural or underserved areas. These technologies include telemedicine and telehealth applications, remote monitoring and mobile devices. Most recently the use of mobile or wearable technologies that increase patients’ self-management of their health care has become a central interest.
1. Spaulding R, Belz N, DeLurgio S & Williams AR. (2010) Cost Savings of Telemedicine Utilization for Child Psychiatry in a Rural Kansas Community. Telemedicine and e-Health, 16(8), 1-6.
2. Spaulding R, Cain S & Sonnenschein K. (2011) Urban Telepsychiatry: Uncommon Service for a Common Need. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 20(1), 29-39.
3. Spaulding R, Stevens D & Velasquez S. (2011) Experience with Telehealth for Sleep Monitoring and Sleep Laboratory Management. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 17(7), 346-349.
4. Grady B, Myers KM, Nelson EL, Belz N, Bennett L, Carnahan L, Decker VB, Holden D, Perry G, Rosenthal L, Rowe N, Spaulding R, Turvey CL, White R & Voyles D. (2011) Evidence-based practice for telemental health. Telemed J E Health. 17(2):131-48.
5. Spaulding R, Velasquez S, Jianghua H & Alloway G. (2012) Hospital and emergency department resource usage: A cost analysis from a home telehealth project in Kansas. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare.
6. Mussulman, L.M., Ellerbeck, E., Cupertino, P., Preacher, K., Spaulding, R., Catley, D., Sanderson Cox, L., Lambart, L., Hunt, J., Nazir, N., Shireman, T. (2013) Design and Participant Characteristics of a Randomized-Controlled Trial of Telemedicine Smoking Cessation Among Rural Smokers. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 38(2), 173-81.
7. Kim H, Spaulding R, Werkowitch M, Yadrich D, Piamjariyakul U, Gilroy R, and Smith CE. (2014) Costs of multidisciplinary parenteral nutrition care provided at a distance via mobile tablets. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, 38 (Suppl 2), 42S-49S.
8. Richter K.P., Ellerbeck, E.F., Cupertino, A.P., Shireman, T.I., Spaulding, R., Preacher, K.J., Catley, D., Sanderson Cox, L., Mussulman, L., Nazir, N., Hunt, J.J., Lambart, L. (2015) Comparative and cost effectiveness of telemedicine versus telephone counseling for smoking cessation. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 17(5), 1-15.
9, Smith, C., Spaulding, R., (2015). mHealth Clinic Appointment PC Tablet: Implementation, Challenges and Solutions. Journal of Mobile Technology in Medicine. 4(2),21-32