Leonidas Bantis, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Biostatistics & Data Science
B.S., Statistics, University of Piraeus, Athens, Piraeus, Greece
M.Sc., Statistics and Data Analysis, University of the Aegean, Samos, Greece
Ph.D., Statistics, University of the Aegean, Samos, Greece
Postdoctoral, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
2018 - Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Research Design (BERD) Trailblazer Award, University of Kansas Medical Center, Principal Investigator
2014 & 2015 - Top cited paper published in Biometrics in 2014 or 2015 (Bantis et al. (2014))
2013 - University of the Aegean, Ph.D. with distinction
2006 - University of the Aegean Scholarship due to excellence (top ranked student)
Biomarker evaluation, Parametric and non-parametric estimation of ROC curves and/or surfaces and/or hypersurfaces, inference within the ROC space for various metrics, splines, kernel theory, GLMs, censoring, issues of limits of detection, survival analysis techniques, classification, inferences on power transformed biomarker data, combinations of biomarkers.
Treating successfully any disease has as its cornerstone an early and accurate diagnosis. The mission of my research is the development of new statistical methods towards diagnostic testing and early detection of (potentially any, but in particular) fatal diseases.
My primary research focus lies on the development of methods related to (bio)marker discovery, (bio)marker evaluation, modeling, and comparisons. I am mainly interested in the mathematical aspects and different metrics that are involved in the receiver operating characteristic (ROC) space. Different metrics within the ROC space might be appropriate for different settings, depending on the severity or stage of the disease, as well as other factors.
My statistical methodology has been driven by real-world problems, related to a variety of clinical questions. These refer to early detecting/diagnosis of pancreatic cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer, colorectal cancer, liver cancer, late-onset sepsis in neonates, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, dementia, as well as other very different frameworks (e.g. entomology). During these projects I have been collaborating closely as the lead statistician with the departments of Clinical Cancer Prevention and Translational Molecular Pathology (The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC)), Departments of Radiation Oncology and Surgical Oncology (MDACC), International Agency for Research of Cancer-World Health Organization (WHO, Lyon, France), Institute of Evolution (University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel).
Two highlights of my clinical collaborations related to lung and pancreatic cancer are the following:
- A four-protein biomarker blood test that improves lung cancer risk assessment. This is the first blood-based biomarker study which relied on pre-diagnostic samples from one cohort (the US CARET cohort) to develop a marker panel that was subsequently subjected to a blinded validation using independent pre-diagnostic samples from ten European countries. Our results initiated consultations with the FDA. (Guida et al. 2018, JAMA oncology)
-In 2017, we presented a protein panel that outperforms CA19.9 for detecting early stage of pancreatic cancer which was also independently validated on a European cohort (Capello et al. 2017, JNCI). In 2018, we present a metabolite panel that significantly improves further our aforementioned protein panel (Fahrmann et al. (2018, JNCI). This new combination/equation is also validated on independent European samples by the International Agency for Research of Cancer (WHO).
Top 15 Publications
A full list can be found through my google scholar profile at https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=hTw7oLMAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate (for my personal website that also includes codes relevant to my work click here: www.leobantis.net )
1. Leonidas E. Bantis, Christos T. Nakas, Benjamin Reiser (2018). Construction of Confidence Intervals for the Maximum of the Youden Index and its Associated Cut-off Point of a Continuous Biomarker. Biometrical Journal (accepted for publication).
2. Johannes F. Fahrmann, Leonidas E. Bantis , Michela Capello, Ghislaine Scelo, Jennifer B. Denison, Nikul Patel, Eunice Murage, Deepali L. Kundnani, Ziding Feng, Michele Yip-Schneider, Randall Brand, Ayumu Taguchi, Anirban Maitra, Paul Brennan, Max C. Schmidt, Samir Hanash (2018). Plasma-Derived Protein-Metabolite Multiplexed Panel for Early-Stage Pancreatic Cancer. Journal of the National Cancer Institute (accepted for publication, DOI: dy126,https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djy126).
3. Florence Guida (co-first author), Nan Sun (co-first author), Leonidas E. Bantis (co-first author), Peng Li, Ayumu Taguchi, David C. Muller, Dilsher Dhillon, Deepali L. Kundnali, Nikul J. Patel, Qingxiang Yan, Graham Byrnes, Karel G M Moons, Anne Tjønneland, Salvatore Panico, Claudia Agnoli, Paolo Vineis, Domenico Palli, Bas Bueno-de-Mesquita, Petra H. Peeters, Antonio Agudo, Jose M. Huerta, Miren Dorronsoro, Miguel Rodriguez Barranco, Eva Ardanaz, Ruth C. Travis, Karl Smith Byrne, Heiner Boeing, Annika Steffen, Rudolf Kaaks, Anika Hüsing, Antonia Trichopoulou, Pagona Lagiou, Carlo La Vecchia, Gianluca Severi, Marie-Christine Boutron, Torkjel M. Sandanger, Elisabete Weiderpass Vainio, Therese H. Nøst, Kostas Tsilidis, Elio Riboli, Kjell Grankvist, Mikael Johansson, Gary E. Goodman, Ziding Feng, Mattias Johansson, Paul Brennan, Samir Hanash (2018). Assessment of lung cancer risk based on a panel of circulating proteins. JAMA oncology (accepted for publication, DOI:10.1001/jamaoncol.2018.2078)
4. Leonidas E. Bantis and Ziding Feng (2018). Comparison of Two Correlated ROC Surfaces for a Given Pair of True Classification Rates. Statistics in Medicine 37(27), 4022-4035.
5. Qingxiang Yan, Leonidas E. Bantis and Ziding Feng (2018). Combining Multiple Biomarkers Linearly to Maximize the Partial Area under the ROC curve. Statistics in Medicine 37(4), 627-642.
6. Leonidas E. Bantis, Qingxiang Yan, John V. Tsimikas and Ziding Feng (2018). Estimation of Smooth ROC curves for biomarkers with limits of detection. Statistics in Medicine (accepted for publication) 36(14) 3830-3843
7. Martin G. Sanda, MD, Ziding Feng, David H Howard, Scott A. Tomlins, Lori J. Sokoll, Daniel W. Chan, Meredith M. Regan, Jack Groskopf, Jonathan Chipman, Dattatraya H. Patil, Simpa S. Salami, Douglas S. Scherr, Jacob Kagan, Sudhir Srivastava, Ian M. Thompson, Jr., Javed Siddiqui, Jing Fan, Aron Y. Joon, Leonidas E. Bantis , Mark A. Rubin, Arul M. Chinnayian, John T. Wei and the EDRN-PCA3 Study Group (2017). Testing Urine for TMPRSS2:ERG and PCA3 RNA to Refine Prostate Cancer Detection. JAMA oncology 3(8) 1085-1093
8. Michela Capello, Leonidas E. Bantis, Ghislaine Scelo, Yang Zhao, Peng Li, Dilsher S. Dhillon, Hong Wang, James L. Abbruzzese, Anirban Maitra, Margaret A.Tempero, Matthew A. Firpo, Sean Mulvihill, Matthew H. Katz, Paul Brennan, Ziding Feng, Ayumu Taguchi, and Samir M. Hanash (2017). Sequential Validation of Blood-Based Protein Biomarker Candidates for Early-Stage Pancreatic Cancer. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djw266 109(4)
9. Hanania A.N., Bantis LE. , Feng Z., Wang H., Tamm E., Katz MH., Maitra A., Koay EJ (2016). Quantitative Imaging to Evaluate Malignant Potential of Pancreatic Cysts. Oncotarget 7(52), 85776-85784.
10. Leonidas E. Bantis and Ziding Feng (2016). Comparison of Two Correlated ROC Curves at a Given Specificity or Sensitivity Level. Statistics in Medicine, 35(24), 4352-4367
11. Leonidas E. Bantis, Christos T. Nakas, Benjamin Reiser, Daniel Myall, John C. Dalrymple-Alford (2015). Construction of Joint Confidence Regions for the Optimal True Class Fractions of Receiver Operating Characteristic (ROC) Surfaces and Manifolds. Statistical Methods in Medical Research 0(0), 1-14
12. Leonidas E. Bantis, Christos T. Nakas, Benjamin Reiser (2014). Construction of Confidence Regions in the ROC space After the Estimation of the Optimal Youden Index-Based Cut-off Point. Biometrics 70(1), 212-223.
13. Leonidas E. Bantis, John V. Tsimikas, Stelios D. Georgiou (2013). Smooth ROC curves and Surfaces for Markers Subject to a Limit of Detection Using Monotone Natural Cubic Splines. Biometrical Journal 55(5), 719-740
14. Leonidas E. Bantis, John V. Tsimikas, Stelios D. (2012). Survival Estimation Through the Cumulative Hazard Function with Monotone Cubic Splines. Lifetime Data Analysis 18(3), 364-396
15. John V. Tsimikas, Leonidas E. Bantis, Stelios D. Georgiou (2012). Inference in Generalized Linear Regression Models with a Censored Covariate. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis 56(6), 1854-1868