Dong Pei, Ph.D.
Research Instructor, Department of Biostatistics & Data Science
B.S., Aquaculture, China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
Ph.D., Biology, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM
2016 - RG-American Society for Microbiology Annual Meeting 1st Place for Poster Presentation
2018 - Children’s Mercy Hospital Genomic Medicine Course Young Investigator Travel Award
I joined the Department of Biostatistics & Data Science at the University of Kansas Medical Center in April 2017 as a Bioinformatics Specialist, following the completion my doctoral training in Biology (emphasis in Bioinformatics) at New Mexico State University. My research interests involve the development and application of bioinformatics tools/pipelines to analyze high-throughput 'omic data, including: DNAseq, RNAseq, scRNAseq, Infinium Methylation microarray, etc. Most of my previous and ongoing research efforts have focused on studying the genetic alterations in model organisms and the application of novel bioinformatics/statistical methodologies to elucidate the molecular mechanisms underlying disease development and progression. In addition to my research activities, I also provide leadership in high-performance computing to the Department of Biostatistics & Data Science as co-Manager of the Biostatistics group that is a member of the KU Community Cluster operated by the Center for Research Computing at KU-Lawrence.
1. Michaud, D. S., Ruan, M., Koestler, D. C., Pei, D., Marsit, C. J., De Vivo, I., & Kelsey, K. T. (2020). Epigenome-wide association study using prediagnostic bloods identifies new genomic regions associated with pancreatic cancer risk. JNCI Cancer Spectrum, pkaa041.
2. Michaud, D. S., Ruan, M., Koestler, D. C., Alonso, L., Molina-Montes, E., Pei, D., Marsit, C.J., De Vivo, I., Malats, N. & Kelsey, K. T. (2020). DNA methylation derived immune cell profiles, CpG markers of inflammation, and pancreatic cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention Biomarkers, 29(8), 1577-1585.
3. Kennedy, E. M., Hermetz, K., Burt, A., Everson, T. M., Deyssenroth, M., Hao, K., Chen, J., Karagas, M.R., Pei, D., Koestler D. C. & Marsit, C. J. (2020). Placental microRNA Expression Associates with Birthweight through Control of Adipokines: Results from Two Independent Cohorts. Epigenetics, in production.
4. Seng, A., Krausz, K. L., Pei, D., Koestler, D. C., Fischer, R. T., Yankee, T. M., & Markiewicz, M. A. (2020). Coexpression of FOXP3 and a Helios isoform enhances the effectiveness of human engineered regulatory T cells. Blood advances, 4(7), 1325-1339.
5. Xu, J., Pei, D., Nicholson, A., Lan, Y. & Xia, Q. (2019). In Silico Identification of Three Types of Integrative and Conjugative Elements in Elizabethkingia anophelis Strains Isolated from around the World. mSphere, 4(2). e00040-19.
6. Zaimi, I., Pei, D., Koestler, D. C., Marsit, C. J., De Vivo, I., Tworoger, S. S., Shields, A.E., Kelsey, K.T. & Michaud, D. S. (2018). Variation in DNA methylation of human blood over a 1-year period using the Illumina MethylationEPIC array. Epigenetics, 13(10-11), 1056-1071.
7. Mudaranthakam, D. P., Thompson, J., Hu, J., Pei, D., Chintala, S. R., Park, M., Fridley, B.L., Gajewski, B., Koestler, D.C. & Mayo, M. S. (2018). A Curated Cancer Clinical Outcomes Database (C3OD) for accelerating patient recruitment in cancer clinical trials. JAMIA open, 1(2), 166-171.
8. Cooper, M. A., McCoin, C., Pei, D., Thyfault, J. P., Koestler, D. & Wright, D. E. (2018). Reduced mitochondrial reactive oxygen species production in peripheral nerves of mice fed a ketogenic diet. Experimental physiology, 103(9), 1206-1212.
9. Hyter, S., Hirst, J., Pathak, H., Pessetto, Z. Y., Koestler, D. C., Raghavan, R., Pei, D. & Godwin, A. K. (2018). Developing a genetic signature to predict drug response in ovarian cancer. Oncotarget, 9(19), 14828.
10. Pei, D., Nicholson, A. C., Jiang, J., Chen, H., Whitney, A. M., Villarma, A., Bell, M., Humrighouse, B., Rowe L.A., Sheth, M., Batra, D., Juieng, P., Loparev, V.N., McQuiston, J.R., Lan, Y., Ma, Y. & Xu, J. (2017). Complete circularized genome sequences of four strains of Elizabethkingia anophelis, including two novel strains isolated from wild-caught Anopheles sinensis. Genome Announcements, 5(47).
11. Pei, D., Hill-Clemons, C., Carissimo, G., Yu, W., Vernick, K. D., & Xu, J. (2015). Draft genome sequences of two strains of Serratia spp. from the midgut of the malaria mosquito Anopheles gambiae. Genome announcements, 3(2).