Residency Application Information (2022-2023)
The Anesthesiology Residency Program at the University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita will accept applications only via the Electronic Residency Application Services (ERAS) from the Association of American Medical College (AAMC).
ERAS application materials are distributed, each year, from the dean's office of participating medical schools after June 30. Applicants from non-participating medical schools should contact the AAMC for information on ERAS.
Our program is a four-year program beginning at the PGY-1 level. Applicants with prior graduate medical education (internship or residency) will be considered only if the number of qualified applicants from senior medical students is insufficient.
We recommend application materials be received by Oct. 21, 2022. Please include your email address on your application.
Application Process and Criteria
The following are required as a minimum for consideration for residency appointment:
1. Three reference letters from U.S. physicians. It is preferred, that one letter is from an academic anesthesiology chair or program director. Reference letters should attest to the applicant's cognitive ability, judgment, and interpersonal communication skills. These letters must be on appropriate letterhead.
2. A transcript of medical school record, certified by the medical school
3. An official dean's letter (MSPE)
4. Copy of USMLE Part 1 and 2 and/or COMLEX Part 1 and 2 transcripts
5. A current Curriculum Vitae
6. A personal statement
7. Fluency in written and spoken English
8. Computer Literacy
9. Must have completed medical school or been in a Graduate Medical Education Program (residency) within the last two years
* Program Director has the ultimate decision to waive any of these criteria. These criteria will rarely be waived.
Additional requirements for students/graduates of medical schools outside of the United States:
1. Must be a United States citizen or possess permanent resident status, a United States Employment Authorization Document, or J-1 Visa. No other Visas will be accepted.
2. A certified copy of Employment Authorization Document must be provided before starting residency.
3. Minimum of one-year practice experience in the United States.
Applications must be complete and must meet KU criteria in order to be reviewed.
Residents selected for interviews will be notified by email or through ERAS. For Interviews:
- Interviewees are strongly encouraged to attend the social on the evening prior to the interview.
- Interviews will begin at 8 a.m. and conclude around 5 p.m.
- In addition to interviews, in-person applicants will tour the hospitals and city of Wichita.
For the 2022-2023 academic year, all interviews will be virtual.
The Anesthesiology Residency Program will provide one night's lodging for applicants attending in-person interviews.
- October 17, 2022
- October 18, 2022
- October 19, 2022
- November 7, 2022
- November 8, 2022
- November 9, 2022