Visiting Medical Students
Wichita Campus Application Requirements and Process
The University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita accepts visiting students from other institutions for clinical rotations. Visiting medical students may apply to any available elective and will be considered after KU medical students have been scheduled.
Away Rotation Recommendations
We anticipate following the recommendations outlined below:
- Away rotations will resume on June 6, 2022.
- Students may begin applying for in-person away rotations after March 15, 2022, for rotations starting on June 6, 2022, or later.
- The number of away rotations allowed is limited to one (four-week rotation) per student.
- Accepted students will be required to be fitted for an N-95 Mask in advance of their rotation.
- Visiting students accepted for a rotation will be required to pay a nominal fee of approximately $95.26 once they receive a bill from Student Financial Accounting.
- Accepted visiting students will be required to have received the COVID vaccine and booster prior to their rotation at KUMC and provide documentation.
2022 Calendar Dates
Fall 2022 dates are listed in VSLO for available rotations. Dates cannot be altered.
In order to take a rotation at the University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita, you must meet the following requirements at the time of application. All documentation must be included.
- Be actively progressing toward an M.D. or D.O. degree at an approved school and must be in their final year of medical school.
- Currently in good standing at an LCME accredited medical school
- Approved by your home institution to participate in an away elective at KUMC
- Have passed USMLE/COMLEX Step 1
- Covered by at least $3,000,000 aggregate/$1,000,000 instance, worth of malpractice insurance. Students may purchase additional insurance, as needed, after acceptance.
- Completion of HIPAA training at your home school
- Have been instructed in safety measures and infection control precautions
- Personal health insurance coverage
- AAMC Standardized Immunization form must be submitted at time of application
- Passage of both a criminal background and a drug screening
- Accepted students will be required to be N-95 Mask fitted in advance of their rotation. Mask fitting can be done after acceptance.
- Reviewed KU Medical Center's exposure protocols
- Have completed the following core clerkship requirements before the rotation begins:
- Family Medicine
- Provide documentation of the COVID vaccine and booster prior to the scheduled rotation
Applications are accepted via the AAMC's Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO). You will need to have your home school's student affairs contact authorize you to use the service.
Due to a high volume of applications, we are unable to take email or phone inquiries about application status. Additionally, our staff does not approve your visitation. All communication, including about application status, must be through VSLO. Applications are reviewed in the order in which they are to be scheduled.
If you are accepted or rejected for a rotation at KU Medical Center, the Student Affairs Office will contact you by email. If accepted, you will be provided with instructions from the clinical department on where to report the first day of the rotation. It is strongly discouraged that you make direct contact with any departments about a visiting rotation. All contacts and questions should be made through the VSLO portal.