Safety and Health Rights and Responsibilities
All employees, patients and visitors of the University of Kansas School of Medicine-Wichita have the right to expect a safe and healthy environment, including but not necessarily limited to:
- Protection from short- and long-term health effects, which may result from exposure to hazardous materials and conditions.
- Availability of pertinent safety and health information, including education and training opportunities.
- Availability of appropriate control measures to reduce risks.
- The responsibility for maintaining a safe and healthy environment is shared by all employees. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Reporting any potentially hazardous situation to Facilities Management (extension 3-2625, after hours press "0" to be connected with the on-call maintenance person). To report any immediate hazardous situation, call 911 and notify your supervisor.
- Maintaining facilities in compliance with safety and health policies. For example, corridors must remain clear of any obstructions to access an egress; fire doors, alarms, sprinklers and hoses must not be blocked.
- Conducting all work in compliance with current safety and health policies and procedures.
- Participating in all safety training programs applicable to job duties.
- Understanding major disaster plans such as fire, tornado, external and internal.
This guide has been prepared as an overview of the institutional safety and health policies and procedures. For further information, refer to the specific policy manuals referenced.