Diversity, Equity & Inclusion-Wichita
KU School of Medicine-Wichita joins KU Medical Center and KU School of Medicine-Salina in the overall commitment to actively develop and support a valued and respected workforce.
KU School of Medicine-Wichita joins KU Medical Center and KU School of Medicine-Salina in the overall commitment to actively develop and support a valued and respected workforce. To achieve this goal locally, there are two committees on the Wichita campus devoted to diversity, equity and inclusion work. The committees are open to any interested member of the campus community – join anytime.
The committees focus on fostering a campus environment that promotes a sense of belonging and empowerment for all, as well as addressing and reducing health inequities through outreach to our community and stakeholders committed to social justice. Committe chairs include Lynn Fisher, M.D., assistant professor, Family & Community Medicine; Colleen Loo-Gross, M.D., MPH, assistant professor, Family & Community Medicine; and Julie Galliart, Ed.D., associate dean, Faculty Affairs & Development; assistant professor, Pediatrics.
This committee is focused internally on fostering a campus environment that promotes a sense of belonging and empowerment for all members of the KU School of Medicine-Wichita community.
Goal: Foster an environment that promotes a sense of belonging and empowerment for all members of the KU Medical Center-Wichita community in order to attract, recruit and retain diverse faculty, staff and learners
Goal: Provide mandatory Implicit Bias 1.0 training for all employees and learners on all three campuses
Contact: If you would like to join future meetings of this committee, contact Lynn Fisher, M.D., assistant professor, Family & Community Medicine, at email@example.com.
This group is focused externally on addressing and reducing health inequities through outreach to our community and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders committed to social justice. Our workgroup values KU School of Medicine-Wichita being a good neighbor to the residents of the A. Price Woodard community and surrounding area. We believe we can impact social justice and increase health equity by fostering strong relationships and community ties between our medical school community and the residents of our medical school neighborhood. We will, therefore:
- Invite community leaders to share their stories and insights with our committee
- Goal: The committee will welcome and learn from at least two guest speakers per calendar year who represent local businesses, neighborhood associations or similar area interests.
- Proactively seek opportunities to give back to our community through service
- Goal: Participate annually in the A Price Woodard neighborhood cleanup
- Goal: Arrange and promote at least two volunteer opportunities per year for KUSM-W students, faculty, staff, and residents within a 10-mile radius of the medical school campus
- Goal: Support and sustain the work already being done through partnership with Park Elementary
- Partner with internal partners committed to social justice to increase our education and awareness of issues such as effective allyship and advocacy
- Goal: establish and sustain collaboration between this committee and the DEI Cabinet’s Social Justice working group
- Wichita Family Medicine Residency Faculty Development: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Family Medicine Interest Group: email@example.com
- Family & Community Medicine Primary clinical care: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Internal Medicine Research: email@example.com
- Internal Medicine IDEA Diabetes Grant: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pediatrics Safe Sleep Community Baby Showers: email@example.com, kidsks.org/community-baby-shower-for-safe-sleep.html
- Pediatrics Baby Talk: firstname.lastname@example.org, babytalkict.com
- Pediatrics Project Imprint: email@example.com
- Pediatrics Medically Complex Clinic: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Population Health WorkWell Kansas: email@example.com, workwellks.com
- Population Health RADx Up: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Population Health Grant proposal: email@example.com
- Population Health eMOMS: firstname.lastname@example.org, kumc.edu/emoms
- Population Health eDECIDE: email@example.com
- Kansas Cancer Partnership Health Equity Workgroup: kscancerpartnership.org
- Black for Pink
- LGBT Health Coalition
- Health Alliance of Sedgwick County
- JayDoc Community Clinic/Guadalupe Clinic
- LGBTQ resources
- Wichita Area Breastfeeding Coalition
Contact: If you would like to join future meetings of this committee, contact Julie Galliart, Ed.D., associate dean, Faculty Affairs & Development; assistant professor, Pediatrics, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have an archive of presentations where you can learn more about the work of our Wichita faculty, students and staff in promoting health equity or addressing other issues of social justice.
Learn more about the strategic initiatives for all campuses facilitated by the Vice Chancellor’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Cabinet, other committees and sub-committees, and the Office of Diversity & Inclusion.
DEI at KU Medical Center
KU Medical Center is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment that nurtures the growth and development of our students, faculty and staff.