News and Events
Never miss an update — follow @KURadOnc on X to connect with our department and see the latest news.
November 2, 2023
Congratulations Dr. David Akhavan on winning KUCC Research Week: Young Scientist Director's Award!
Congratulations Dr. Roanld Chen on winning KUCC Research Week: Mentoring Director's Award!
Congratulations Dr. Carolyn Savioz on winning KUCC Research Week: Community Clinical Trial Accrual Director's Award!
October 30, 2023
Congratulations to Dr. Hao Gao, who was awarded the best abstract in physics at PTCOGNA. His abstract was titled Simultaneous dose and dose rate optimization with FLASH predictive modeling of dose modifying factor via FLASH effectiveness model.
October 4, 2023
Congratulations to Dr. John Einck on becoming an 2023 Astro Fellow.
Congratulations to Dr. Xinglei Shen, whose research proposal “Quantifying Optimal Relugolix Duration with Radiation in High-Risk Prostate Cancer”was one of the winners of the 2023 ASTRO Sumitomo Pharma-Pfizer Alliance new combination therapy challenge!
August 30, 2023
Dr. Kenny Guida is working to bring this novel treatment planning technology to our clinic which will also help many other clinics worldwide. In addition to several other physicists and dosimetrists. Dr. Guida’s clinical development team also includes our hardworking physics residents including the new resident Dr. Wangyao Li (PGY-1) who brings to us unique mathematical optimization skills. Dr. Guida’s clinical development team also includes our hardworking physics residents.
August 23, 2023
Congrats to Dr. Hao Gao for winning a prestigious abstract award for this year’s ASTRO annual meeting!
August 9, 2023
Congratulations to Dr. Carolyn Savioz on being accepted into the first UKP Leadership Institute cohort.
Congratulations to Dr. Gregory Gan, who has been invited to serve as Associate Editor for the journal, Molecular Carcinogenesis.
August 1, 2023
July 10, 2023
Congratulations Dr. John Einck on being awarded the distinction of ASTRO Fellow (FASTRO)! ASTRO fellows are recognized for their commendable and sustained service to the field of Oncology and is earned by only a small percentage of the nearly 10,000 society members.
July 6, 2023
We would like to thank visiting professor Dr. Anthony D'Amico for sharing your knowledge and experience with our residents today. Also, the amazing seminar.
May 23, 2023
Congratulations to Dr. Yuting Lin for receiving a research grant entitled “The first clinical proton minibeam system with enhanced therapeutic index for cancer radiation therapy” from the University of Kansas Cancer Center. Dr. Gregory Gan is physician Co-PI on this pilot project.
May 20, 2023
Congratulations Dr. Harold Li on receiving a R21 grant from the National Cancer Institute – on FLASH dosimetry!
April 3, 2023
The University of Kansas mock oral workshop and review course serves to provide current residents and recent graduates preparing for the radiation oncology oral board exam. Mock Oral Workshop is a robust means of assessing their current knowledge level and providing a collegial venue that simulates the oral board examination. Sixteen KUMC examiners along with sixteen external examiners examined thirty-two examinees, who joined from west coast to east coast on Saturday, April 1st, 2023. On Sunday, April 2, 2023, the review sessions were held by our KUMC faculty members to review the exam. This event not only helps the participants in preparing for the exam, but also is one that continues to elevate KU on a national level.
March 22, 2023
On the #BenchtoBedside podcast produced by The University of Kansas Cancer Center, Dr. Roy Jensen speaks with Drs. Tara Lin and Ronald Chen about why diversity in clinical trials is important to the health of our region. Listen wherever you find your podcasts.
March 14, 2023
Congratulations to Dakota Okwuone on being the 2023 AACR Minority Scholar in Cancer Research Award for the AACR Annual Meeting 2023 in Orlando, Florida.
Congratulations to Dr. Xinglei Shen on his appointment to membership in the NRG Genitourinary Cancer Core Committee.
February 24, 2023
KU Rad Onc has the most amazing residents. We want to say thank you for all your amazing work.
February 21, 2023
Julia White, M.D., Hall Family Foundation Professor in Clinical Science and Vice Chair of clinical operations for our KU Rad Onc, has been appointed to the Association of American Cancer Institutes Physician Clinical Leadership Initiative steering committee. Learn more ➜ https://bit.ly/3xEB1bX.
February 3, 2023
Ph.D. student Riza Alker from UCLan School of Pharmacy & Biomedical Sciences is embarking on the next stage of her #CARTcell cancer research with KU Medical Center. Her research will focus on finding new ways to expand CAR-T therapy to treat cancers such as brain tumors.
January 24, 2023
It's an honor to announce that Dr. Hao Gao, associate professor of radiation oncology, has been selected by AAPM as the recipient of the 2023 John S. Laughlin Early-Career Scientist Award. This award recognizes outstanding scientific achievement in medical physics for an Early-Career Scientist member of AAPM.
January 23, 2023
Congratulations to Dr. Ronald Chen on being selected as 1 of 17 participants in the inaugural ASCO Ethical Leadership Program. This one-year program provides mid-career and senior oncology leaders with skills to navigate ethical challenges in healthcare.
January 20, 2023
Eight dosimetrists and two medical physics residents participated at the first KU Plan Challenge designed by Kenny Guida, DMP. Crosby Rock, M.D. (PGY5), Shane Stecklein, M.D., Ph.D., Greg Gan, M.D., Ph.D., and Hongyu Jiang, Ph.D. reviewed the proposed plans and ranked each participant Jeanine Turner's The Machines are Taking Over was the winner.
Congratulations to Dr. Krishna Reddy on being named the Association of Residents In Radiation Oncology 2021-2022 Educator of the Year.
Congratulations Dr. Gregory Gan who conducted research and co-wrote a national guideline for head and neck cancer published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). Please find the link for the guideline attached.
Rajeev Badkul, MS, was selected as a member of the Training and Practice of Medical Dosimetry Subcommittee (TPM.D.) of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM).
Not many scientists can claim to be working full-time on both improving cancer treatment and fighting the effects of bioterrorism, but Subhrajit Saha can. Dr. Saha is an associate professor and the director of basic science research in the Department of Radiation Oncology and he has received a grant to combat injuries caused by exposure to radiation.
Congratulations to Dr. Harold Li who served as the co-Chair on the National Institutes of Health Radiation Therapy and Biology (RTB) Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) Special Emphasis Panel. The SBIR/STTR programs are highly competitive programs that encourage domestic small businesses to engage in Federal Research/Research and Development with the potential for commercialization.
Congratulations to Dr. Krishna Reddy who was appointed to the Lung Cancer General Committee of NRG.
Congratulations to Dr. Bruce Kimler, who was named to the inaugural class of Fellows of the Radiation Research Society, recognizing his years of service and leadership.
Congratulations to Dr. Gregory Gan on being awarded the KUCC Pilot Project Award for Cancer Research for his pilot project: “Small Molecule Enhances Anti-Cancer Tumor Radiosensitivity via Activation of the SGAS-STING Pathway.”
Congratulations to Dr. David Akhavan on being selected as a 2022 Head For The Cure Foundation and Medical Advisory Board grant recipient. The grant award will be used to further research toward improved treatments for brain tumor and other neuro-oncology patients and to support initiatives that also focus on non-interventional approaches to improving patient outcomes.
Please join Dr. Julia White for this informative didactic lecture scheduled for Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 7:45am-8:30am.
- The University of Kansas Cancer Center will be presenting at the American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) Annual Meeting | October 23 - 26, 2022
- Visiting professor Dr. Charles Thomas, from Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, is giving a department talk on “Primer on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Superior Sulcus Tumor of the Lung.
- An amazing visit from professor Dr. Kendra Harris, sharing her extensive expertise on radiopharmaceutical therapy with our residents.
- The University of Kansas Medical Center Radiation Oncology Faculty Physicians.
- Dr. Chen's NRG Oncology Trial Aimed to Improve Prostate Cancer Survivor Care Planning Reaches Accrual Goal (NRG-CC007CD)
Dr. Stecklein informed the KUCC summer students about radiation therapy.
Congratulations to our first Fulbright scholar Dr. Fatjona Kraja-Pupuleku. Your work ethic and positive attitude have been a fulfillment to our mission of education and research. We wish you the best on your new journey.
Our Radiation Department and Dr. Saha had the pleasure of hosting Professor Amir Bahadori during his Big 12 Faculty Fellowship selection. Professor Amir Bahadori was selected as a designated Big 12 Faculty Fellow for 2023. Upon his selection, he also received a grant in support of his visit to the University of Kansas.
We're excited to welcome our new Residents.
We're excited to welcome our summer research students for the next 8 weeks..
We’d like to congratulate our Fulbright Scholar Dr. Fatjona Kraja on receiving a 1-year Scholarship Certificate of Advanced Studies in Gastrointestinal cancer, from the World Congress on Gastrointestinal Cancer in Barcelona.
We are pleased to announce the award winners for the 2022 KUCC Summer Student Research Training Program.
- Awards will go to the following student/mentor teams:
- Student/Mentor – Project:
- Trenton Edwards/Midhat Farooqi – Genomic Analysis of Infant Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Samples
- Alexandra Pierce/Michael VanSaun – Dual PI3K and MAPK inhibition in pancreatic cancer
- Mackenzie Thornton/David Akhavan – Evaluation of EGFR-B7-H3 bispecific CAR T cells targeting mTNBC
- Colin Slaymaker/Chad Slawson – The Role of O-GlcNAcylation status in differentiation to MITF and AXL Phenotypes in Melanoma
- Jacob Hiss/Fariba Behbod, Joan Lewis-Wambi – The role of IFITM1 in breast cancer progression
- Rachel Stetson/Ajay Bansal - Natural history and epidemiology of Hereditary Gastrointestinal Cancer Syndromes: A
- patient registry at a large tertiary care center
Winners will work and train in the labs of their mentors from June 6 - July 29, 2022. They will also have the opportunity to present a poster on their project at the annual KUCC Research Symposium. This year’s poster competition for the Symposium will be held on November 4th, 2022.
- Another successful mock oral event! Thank you so much for the examiners and the admins who made the 12th Annual Mid-America Radiation Oncology Mock Oral Course possible.
Participation in the University of Kansas School of Medicine Grand Affair 2022.
KUMC Radiation Oncology Department is excited to welcome our 1st Fulbright Scholar Dr. Fatjona Kraja from Albania.
The University of Kansas Cancer Center American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
Annual Meeting | April 8-13, 2022
- Congratulations to Siddharth, for being selected and placing 2nd place in this year's KU Engineering Research Virtual Presentations Showcase.
We are happy to share that the Capitol Graduate Research Summit review committee was very impressed with Siddharth Subha’s research titled Assembling Avengers “CAR-T” cells against TNBC. Siddharth Subham, a Ph.D. student at KUL – preceptor is David Akhavan, M.D., Ph.D. – was selected to present at the 2022 Capitol Graduate Research Summit this March.
We’d like to congratulate Dr. Li for the hard work he’s contributed to the Medical Physics journal as an Associate Editor in 2021. Dr. Li has been named a Distinguished Associate Editor for Medical Physics for 2022.
Congratulations to Ronald C. Chen, M.D., Andrew C. Hoover, M.D., and James Coster, M.D.R on being selected as Top Doctors in America. Our Rad Onc department is thrilled to have 3 of our doctors selected by a physicians-led team of researchers following a rigorous screening process to select top doctors through a nomination process that is open to all licensed physicians in America.
For more information, visit Radiation Oncology (kansascitymag.com)
We are excited to announce Dr. Gao is now the newest editor of the Medical Physics Board of Associate Editors.
Congratulations to Dr. Savioz who was recently appointed to the DEI officer's leadership group for the AGCME.
Ryan Zitter/Subhrajit Saha: "Intrinsic Variance Between Sexes in the Normal Tissue Radiation Response" We are pleased to announce the award winners for the 2021 KUCC Summer Student Research Training Program.
Please join Dr. Ron Chen in congratulating Danny Craft, Ph.D., Radiation Oncology Physicist on being named the Vice Chair of AAPM (American Association of Physicists in Medicine) Task Group 336. TG336 is responsible for 3D printing clinical applications and quality assurance, specifically covering Radiation Therapy.
The KU Radiation Oncology Department is hosting 6 students from University of Kansas – Lawrence to conduct research.
- Dr. Savioz for being chosen to participate in one of the American College of Radiology (ACR) Commission on Radiation Oncology Education Team quarterly live web series titled “ACR Radiation Oncology Job Market Concerns.”
- Dr. Shane Stecklein on being appointed to the National Cancer Institute Breast Oncology Local Disease (BOLD) Task Force as a Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG) Early Investigator Representative effective January 1, 2021.
- Ron Chen, M.D., MPH, has been appointed Editor-in Chief, Journal of the National Cancer Institute – Cancer Spectrum. This prestigious honor is a national position and aligns with the academic mission of the School of Medicine, University of Kansas Cancer Center and the Radiation Oncology Department.
- Ron Chen, M.D., MPH, has been selected to receive the University of Kansas Cancer Center Director’s “2020 Closing Disparities Award.” The Director’s awards recognize individuals who have significantly contributed to the Cancer Center’s mission of reducing the burden of cancer in our region.
- Shane Stecklein, M.D., Ph.D. has been awarded the 1st annual Kansas Institute for Precision Medicine (KIPM) COBRE pilot grant supported by the University of Kansas Cancer Center.
- Ron Chen, M.D., MPH, has received a National Cancer Institute grant entitled “Patient and Investigator Voices Organizing Together Across the Translational Research Continuum.”
- Rajeev Badkul, MS; Greg Gan, M.D., Ph.D.; and David Akhavan, M.D., Ph.D. received a grant from Varian titled “Development of Virtual 3-D Grid Therapy and its clinical implementation in hepatocellular carcinoma.”
- Subhrajit Saha, Ph.D., has received a supplemental grant from the National Institutes of Health for re-programming of bone marrow progenitor cells.
- Shane Stecklein, M.D., Ph.D. has received a grant from TEAM MICHELLE to conduct research on “When/Why Immunotherapy is Effective/Ineffective as Treatment for Triple Negative Breast Cancers.”
- Ron Chen, M.D., MPH, has been named a Fellow of the American Society for Radiation Oncology.