News and Events
Please join Dr. Ronald Chen in congratulating Dr. Harold Li who served as the co-Chair on the National Institutes of Health Radiation Therapy and Biology (RTB) Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) Special Emphasis Panel. The SBIR/STTR programs are highly competitive programs that encourage domestic small businesses to engage in Federal Research/Research and Development with the potential for commercialization.
- HNC board member, Mandy Jo Roe had an incredibly unique opportunity with our Radiation Oncology department on Proton Center tour yesterday. She volunteered to experience a mask fitting that many of our patients experience as part of their treatment journey.
- Radiation masks at The University of Kansas Health System are getting a playful touch, thanks to some creative and compassionate staff. Radiation therapist at the main Kansas City campus have started painting some of the radiation masks to bring smiles to patients.
- Congratulations to Dr. Krishna Reddy who appointed to the Lung Cancer General Committee of NRG.
- Congratulations to Dr. Subhrajit Saha one of our associate professors, who studies how to treat and prevent harm from cancer radiation treatment. Dr. Saha has received a grant to combat injuries caused by exposure to radiation.
- Congratulations to Dr. Gregory Gan on being awarded the KUCC Pilot Project Award for Cancer Research for his pilot project: “Small Molecule Enhances Anti-Cancer Tumor Radiosensitivity via Activation of the SGAS-STING Pathway.”
- Congratulations to Dr. David Akhavan on being selected as a 2022 Head For The Cure Foundation and Medical Advisory Board grant recipient. The grant award will be used to further research toward improved treatments for brain tumor and other neuro oncology patients and to support initiatives that also focus on non-interventional approaches to improving patient outcomes.
- Please join Dr. Julia White for this informative didactic lecture scheduled for Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 7:45am-8:30am.
- The University of Kansas Cancer Center will be presenting at the American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) Annual Meeting | October 23 - 26, 2022
Congratulations to Steve Howard on being selected to participate in an ASTRO panel call with the FDA Center for Devices and Radiological Health regarding patient CT simulations and treatments with diabetes-wearable devices.
- Visiting professor Dr. Charles Thomas, from Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, is giving adepartment talk on “Primer on the Diagnosis and Treatment of Superior Sulcus Tumor of the Lung.
- On Oct. 4th, 2022 Chiefs running back Isiah Pacheco toured the Proton Therapy Center on the main Kansas City campus, where he met with patients and Radiation Oncology’s Physicians.
- The University of Kansas Health System is NCI comprehensive! What does comprehensive designation mean for people with cancer? As one of just 53 NCI-designated comprehensive centers, it means patients will be cared for by the world’s leading cancer experts who have access to a robust portfolio of clinical trials. #WeAreNCIComprehensive
- University of Kansas Health System has achieved NCI comprehensive status! This is a huge win for our region! We are one of only 53 cancer centers in this nation with this designation! #WeAreNCIComprehensive
An amazing visit from professor Dr Kendra Harris, sharing her extensive expertise on radiopharmaceutical therapy wiht our residents.
- The University of Kansas Health System’s Medical Center, Radiation Oncology Faculty Physician’s.
- Get ready for the Get Your Rear in Gear KC 5K run/walk event on September 25th to raise awareness for colorectal cancer. Join us for a morning of music, community, and honoring those who have fought against this disease that affects 1 in 24 Americans.
Register ➜ bit.ly/3AYHl0f.
- Dr. Chen's NRG Oncology Trial Aimed to Improve Prostate Cancer Survivor Care Planning Reaches Accrual Goal (NRG-CC007CD)
Please dont miss the Free Prostate Cancer Screening September 17th. Register with the link below.
Masonic Cancer Alliance Prostate Cancer Screening Registration (kumc.edu)
Dr. Stecklein informing the KUCC summer students about radiation therapy.
Congratulations to our first Fulbright scholar Dr. Fatjona Kraja-Pupuleku. Your work ethic and positive attitude has been a fulfillment to our mission of education and research. We wish you the best on your new journey.
Lifesaving Proton Theraphy is here NOW !
Congratulations Javon on completing the dosimetrist program !
- The Ribon, The Color, The Meaning
Our Radiation Department and Dr. Saha had the pleasure of hosting Professor Amir Bahadori during his Big 12 Faculty Fellowship selection. Professor Amir Bahadori was selected as a designated Big 12 Faculty Fellow for 2023.Upon his selection , he also received a grant in support of his visit to University of Kansas.
We're excited to welcome our new Residents.
The amazing piece "You Are Not Alone" by Suze Ford is now on display in the patient waiting area.
On July 7, The University of Kansas Cancer Center announced it has been designated as a “Comprehensive” cancer center by the National Cancer Institute (NCI). This is the highest level of recognition awarded by the NCI and is the gold standard for cancer centers !
The University of Kansas Health System and The University of Kansas Cancer Center leadership celebrate the first proton therapy treatment.
We're excited to welcome our summer research students for the next 8 weeks..
If you have a patient who may benefit from proton therapy, we can help. We partner with referring physicians to ensure your patients receive top-of-the-line care and work closely with you to answer questions and ease the referral process.
We’d like to congratulate our Fulbright Scholar Dr. Fatjona Kraja on receiving a 1 year Scholarship Certificate of Advanced Studies in Gastrointestinal cancer, from the World Congress on Gastrointestinal Cancer in Barcelona.
We'd like to congratulate Dr. Guida on being Radformation's April user of the month. Kenny has revolutionized plan QA with ClearCheck throughout the University of Kansas cancer center network. He shares, “ClearCheck has really allowed our group to create our own templates basedon department guidelines.” In less than a year, their team has added over 60 in-house protocols to ClearCheck.
Now open, The University of Kansas Health System Proton Therapy Center is the first in the region to offer this state-of-the-art targeted radiation therapy.
We are pleased to announce the award winners for the 2022 KUCC Summer Student Research Training Program.
- Awards will go to the following student/mentor teams:
- Student/Mentor – Project:
- Trenton Edwards/Midhat Farooqi – Genomic Analysis of Infant Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Samples
- Alexandra Pierce/Michael VanSaun – Dual PI3K and MAPK inhibition in pancreatic cancer
- Mackenzie Thornton/David Akhavan – Evaluation of EGFR-B7-H3 bispecific CAR T cells targeting mTNBC
- Colin Slaymaker/Chad Slawson – The Role of O-GlcNAcylation status in differentiation to MITF and AXL Phenotypes in Melanoma
- Jacob Hiss/Fariba Behbod, Joan Lewis-Wambi – The role of IFITM1 in breast cancer progression
- Rachel Stetson/Ajay Bansal - Natural history and epidemiology of Hereditary Gastrointestinal Cancer Syndromes: A
- patient registry at a large tertiary care center
- Winners will work and train in the labs of their mentors from June 6 - July 29, 2022. They will also have the opportunity to present a poster on their project at the annual KUCC Research Symposium. This year’s poster competition for the Symposium will be held on November 4th, 2022.
Over the weekend our Radiation Oncology team partnered with American Cancer Society Hope Lodge to donate paper towels, toilet paper, disposable tableware, laundry detergent, dryer sheets, pantry snacks, stamps, gift cards and quarters for vending machines.
The University of Kansas Health System’s new Proton Therapy Center is receiving its first public viewings. Dozens of civic and philanthropic leaders in April 2022 toured the facility. Employee tours are next, slated for May 3-4. Located on the Kansas City campus, the state-of-the-art facility is one of 39 proton centers in the nation, but it’s the first in our region.
Another successful mock oral event! Thank you so much for the examiners and the admins who made the 12th Annual Mid-America Radiation Oncology Mock Oral Course possible.
Participation in the University of Kansas School of Medicine Grand Affair 2022.
KUMC Radiation Oncology Department is excited to welcome our 1st Fulbright Scholar Dr. Fatjona Kraja from Albania.
The University of Kansas Cancer Center American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
Annual Meeting | April 8-13, 2022
- Congratulations to Siddharth, for being selected and placing 2nd place in this year's KU Engineering Research Virtual Presentations Showcase .
We are happy to share that the Capitol Graduate Research Summit review committee was very impressed with Siddharth Subha’s research titled Assembling Avengers “CAR-T” cells against TNBC. Siddharth Subham, PhD student at KUL – preceptor is David Akhavan, MD, PhD – was selected to present at the 2022 Capitol Graduate Research Summit this March.
Few healthcare organizations today have set zero harm as an explicit goal. If you have a high incident rate, expecting your team to get to zero quickly is unachievable. Part of making goals is making them realistic. So, getting to zero must be a series of continuous improvement. University Of Kansas Radiation Oncology department was recognized by KU Hospital for zero harm FY2021
We’d like to congratulate Dr. Li for the hard work he’s contributed to the Medical Physics journal as an Associate Editor in 2021. Dr. Li has been named a Distinguished Associate Editor for Medical Physics for 2022.
We are honored to be a part of this year’s Parade of Hearts, with the heart "Buck".
Congratulations to Ronald C.Chen, MD, Andrew C. Hoover, MD, and James Coster, MDR on being selected as Top Doctors in America. Our Rad Onc department is thrilled to have 3 of our doctors selected by a physicians-led team of researchers following a rigorous screening process to select top doctors through a nomination process that is open to all licensed physicians in America.
3:00- p.m. second Thursday of each month.
Susie Cable, LMSW
Radiation Oncology Social Worker
We are excited to announce Dr. Gao is now the newest editor of the Medical Physics Board of Associate Editors.
Congratulations to Dr. Savioz who was recently appointed to the DEI officer's leadership group for the AGCME.
This past January our physics team at the University of Kansas Health System consisting of Dr. Howard, Dr. Craft and Dr. Neba were responsible for the acceptance and commissioning for the launch of IORT (Intraoperative Radiation Therapy) technology. IORT is a modality for certain early-stage breast cancer patients where they can receive their radiation at the time of surgery, instead of the patient having to come for 3-4 weeks of follow up radiation.
Ryan Zitter/Subhrajit Saha: "Intrinsic Variance Between Sexes in the Normal Tissue Radiation Response"We are pleased to announce the award winners for the 2021 KUCC Summer Student Research Training Program.
Awards will go to the following student/ mentor teams:
Please join Dr. Ron Chen in congratulating Danny Craft, PhD, Radiation Oncology Physicist on being named the Vice Chair of AAPM (American Association of Physicists in Medicine) Task Group 336. TG336 is responsible for 3D printing clinical applications and quality assurance, specifically covering Radiation Therapy.
The KU Radiation Oncology Department is hosting 6 University of Kansas – Lawrence to conduct research.
- Dr. Savioz for being chosen to participate in one of the American College of Radiology (ACR) Commission on Radiation Oncology Education Team quarterly live web-series titled “ACR Radiation Oncology Job Market Concerns.”
- Nana Aba Mensah-Brown, PhD, Radiation Oncology physicist has been elected for the president-elect of the Missouri River Chapter of the AAPM. Her term will begin on January 1st, 2021.
- Dr. Shane Stecklein on being appointed to the National Cancer Institute Breast Oncology Local Disease (BOLD) Task Force as a Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG) Early Investigator Representative effective January 1, 2021.
- Ron Chen, MD, MPH, has been appointed Editor-in Chief, Journal of the National Cancer Institute – Cancer Spectrum. This prestigious honor is a national position and aligns with the academic mission of the School of Medicine, University of Kansas Cancer Center and the Radiation Oncology Department.
- Ron Chen, MD, MPH, has been selected to receive the University of Kansas Cancer Center Director’s “2020 Closing Disparities Award.” The Director’s awards recognize individuals who have significantly contributed to the Cancer Center’s mission of reducing the burden of cancer in our region.
- Shane Stecklein, MD, PhD has been awarded the 1st annual Kansas Institute for Precision Medicine (KIPM) COBRE pilot grant supported by the University of Kansas Cancer Center.
- Ron Chen, MD, MPH, has received a National Cancer Institute grant entitled “Patient and Investigator Voices Organizing Together Across the Translational Research Continuum.”
- Rajeev Badkul, MS; Greg Gan, MD, PhD; and David Akhavan, MD, PhD received a grant from Varian titled “Development of Virtual 3-D Grid therapy and its clinical implementation in hepatocellular carcinoma.”
- Subhrajit Saha, PhD, has received a supplemental grant from the National Institutes of Health for re-programming of bone marrow progenitor cells.
- Shane Stecklein, MD, PhD has received a grant from TEAM MICHELLE to conduct research on “When/Why Immuntherapy is Effective/Ineffective as Treatment for Triple Negative Breast Cancers.”
- Ron Chen, MD, MPH, has been named a Fellow of the American Society for Radiation Oncology.