Our residents earn a competitive annual stipend and a benefits package that includes medical and dental plans, paid time off and retirement plans.
Visit the KU Medical Center's Office of Graduate Medical Education website for the current academic year's resident stipends.
This information applies to residents and fellows training at the University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, Kansas campus.
Leave per academic year:
- 15 days of vacation per academic year
- 10 days of medical leave/sick leave
- Up to 5 days of professional leave
Twelve working days per year of military leave with pay for active duty or training purposes.
After one year continuous employment with KUMC, our resident physicians are eligible for up to eight weeks paid parental leave for the primary caregiver or four weeks paid parental leave for the secondary caregiver in addition to standard vacation and sick leave.
Resident physicians that have not been employed for one year are also eligible for parental leave. Please visit the GME Policy and Procedure Manual for more information.
Additional paid benefits
- $800 educational development fund per academic year
- Kansas postgraduate permit fees
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification and subsequent renewals
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification
- Garage parking
- Food stipend
- Meal allocations at KU: All residents will receive $30.00 per two weeks
- Meal allocations at VA: 24-hour access to food if on call (snacks, frozen meals, juices, etc.)
- Student center, activity and library fees
- Paid Group Social Activities
- Dykes Library access to electronic journals without subscription
- 24-hour access to resident lounge with large screen TV, computers and snacks
- Travel (air, lodging, meeting registration, local transportation, costs associated with poster production or submission fee) to a regional or national meeting in order if attending as the presenting author
- Access to UpToDate Throughout the Hospital
- Psychiatry-Resident-In-Training Examination (PRITE) fees
- PRITE and board preparation materials
- Personal health and dental insurance for resident (Family health insurance available; additional fees apply)
- Long-term disability insurance
- Malpractice coverage through the Kansas Stabilization Fund
- Campus fitness center membership
- Counseling services
- Membership dues for the American Psychiatric Association and Kansas Psychiatric Society
- USMLE Step 3/COMLEX Level 3 Examination (One-time only)
- Additional educational funds in last year of residency that may be applied toward board exams or board review
- Caregiving and Support Services
- To provide additional support for our residents, KU Medical Center has partnered with Bright Horizons® to help you with caregiving and support services for your loved ones.
- Residents can reserve back-up family care if your regular caregiver is unavailable and access discounts for top childcare, tutoring, elder care and enrichment programs. The benefit also grants you preferred enrollment for full-time childcare.
- Bright Horizons offers affordable options to address all your needs. More information is available on the HR intranet site or you can register at https://clients.brighthorizons.com/kumc.