Research and Education
Residents and Program Director James Butterworth, MD, following presentations at Plastic Surgery The Meeting (PSTM). Residents present annually at PSTM as well as the Midwestern Association of Plastic Surgeons Meeting. Residents have also recently represented KU Plastic Surgery through podium presentations at The Aesthetic Meeting, The American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery Meeting, The American Burn Association Meeting, The International Society for Burn Injuries Biennial Congress, The Congress of International Society of Craniofacial Surgery, and the American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association Meeting.
Our department offers abundant opportunities for clinical, outcomes and basic science research. Residents and medical students may join faculty-led projects or enjoy mentorship on independent pursuits. Many projects are done in collaboration with other departments within KU Medical Center and the University of Kansas.
Protected research time is provided for residents during their third year. All residents are expected to participate in at least one scholarly project per year in the form of basic science, clinical, quality improvement or outcomes research. Residents are strongly encouraged to present at regional and national meetings; protected time is available.
Faculty and residents regularly publish in peer-reviewed journals. We invite you to see a sample of our current projects, as well as recent publications.
- Clinical approaches and outcomes with
- Orthognatic (jaw) surgery
- Complex head & neck reconstruction
- Adult cleft and craniofacial
- Dental rehabilitation
- Lypka M, Shah K, Jones J. Prosthetic Temporomandibular Joint Reconstruction in a Cohort of Adolescent Females with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. Ped Rheum. In press.
- Shah K, Fulbright J, Katz A, Zheng L, Jarka D, Lypka M. Malignant Granular Cell Tumor of the Lower Extremity in an Adolescent Male. J Ped Hematol Onc. In press.
- Lypka MA, Hendricks H. An alternative internal Le Fort I distractor: Early results with a new trans-nasal device. J Craniofac Surg. 2020 Feb 28. Epub ahead of print
- Kurian C, Pinamonti G, Starling Hughes S, Martin J, Lypka M. You “Cantu”: Multidisciplinary collaboration resulting in successful orthognathic surgery. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 57: 249-254, 2020.
- Rengasamy Venugopalan S, Farrow E, Lara PA, Yen S, Lypka M, Jiang S, Allareddy V. A novel nonsense substitution identified in the AMIGO2 gene in an Occulo-Auriculo-Vertebral spectrum patient. Orthod Craniofac Res. 22: 163-167, 2019.
- Miller H, Grabb P, Lypka M. Reverse Distraction for Treatment of Hydrocephalic Macrocephaly in Late Childhood. J Craniofac Surg. 30: 532-534, 2019.
- Xiao K, Tomur S, Beckerman R, Cassidy K, Lypka M. Orthognathic Correction in Prader Willi Syndrome: Occlusion and Sleep Restored. Am Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 56:415-418, 2019.
- Rengasamy Venugopalan S, Farrow E, Lypka M. Whole-exome sequencing identified a variant in EFTUD2 gene in establishing a genetic diagnosis. Orthodontics and Craniofac Research. 20 Suppl 1: 50-56, 2017.
- Roman P, Lypka M. Early surgical correction of the nasal deformity in Laurin Sandrow Syndrome. J Craniofac Surg. 28: e126-e127, 2017.
- Patel S, Porras S, Lypka M. Journey to chew: A case of maxillary duplication and bony syngnathia. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 43: 57-61, 2015.
- Clinical outcomes in
- Autologous breast reconstruction
- Implant-based reconstruction
- Disparities in healthcare delivery
- Neurotization of breast flaps
- Reducing opioid consumption
- Microsurgical outcomes database analysis
- Egan KG, De Souza M, Muenks E, Nazir N, Korentager R. Opioid Consumption Following Breast Surgery Decreases with a Brief Educational Intervention: A Randomized, Controlled Trial. Ann Surg Oncol. 2020 Apr 13.
- Lee CD, Butterworth J, Stephens RE, Wright B, Surek C. Location of the Internal Mammary Vessels for Microvascular Autologous Breast Reconstruction: The "1-2-3 Rule". Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018 Jul;142(1):28-36.
- Mitchell MP, Wagner J, Butterworth J. Subcutaneous implant-based breast reconstruction, a modern challenge in postmastectomy radiation planning. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2018 May - Jun;8(3):153-156.
- Grow JN, Butterworth J, Petty P. Alternatives to Acellular Dermal Matrix: Utilization of a Gore DualMesh Sling as a Cost-Conscious Adjunct for Breast
- Reconstruction. Eplasty. 2017 Feb 10;17:e4.
- Buescher TM, Andry D, Brown T, Vargo J, Nazir N, Andrews BT. Inset of Unilateral Dual Microvascular Breast Reconstruction Using Nonabdominal Free Tissue Transfer. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Jul;138(1):42-8.
- Clinical outcomes
- Usage of adipose based stem cells on foot ulcers
- Voss JK, Lozenski J, Hansen JK, Salerno S, Lackamp A, Parks J, Bhavsar D, Kovac AL. Sedation and Analgesia for Adult Outpatient Burn Dressing Change: A Survey of American Burn Association Centers. J Burn Care Res. 2020 Feb 19;41(2):322-327.
- Cartotto R, Taylor SL, Holmes JH, Arnoldo B, Peck M, Cochran A, Col BTK, Bhavsar D, Tredget EE, Stapelberg F, Friedman B, Mozingo D, Greenhalgh D, Pollock BH, Palmieri TL. Inhalation Injury Does Not Influence the Amount of Blood Transfused to Major Burn Patients: A Secondary Analysis from the Transfusion Requirement in Burn Care Evaluation Study. J Burn Care Res. 2019 Oct 16;40(6):757-762.
- Egan KG, Allen A, Hendren G, Mellott AJ, Bhavsar D. Effects of Intraoperative Dexamethasone Administration in Adult Diabetic Burn Patients. J Burn Care Res. 2019 Aug 14;40(5):627-632.
- Hansen JK, Voss J, Ganatra H, Langner T, Chalise P, Stokes S, Bhavsar D, Kovac AL. Sedation and Analgesia During Pediatric Burn Dressing Change: A Survey of American Burn Association Centers. J Burn Care Res. 2019 Apr 26;40(3):287-293.
- Palmieri TL, Holmes JH, Arnoldo B, Peck M, Cochran A, King BT, Dominic W, Cartotto R, Bhavsar D, Tredget E, Stapelberg F, Mozingo D, Friedman B, Sen S, Taylor SL, Pollock BH. Restrictive Transfusion Strategy Is More Effective in Massive Burns: Results of the TRIBE Multicenter Prospective Randomized Trial. Mil Med. 2019 Mar 1;184(Suppl 1):11-15.
- Vargo JD, Grow JN, Yang S, Bernard A, Nazir N, Bhavsar D. Parameters for Ordering Blood Cultures in Major Burn Injury Patients: Improving Clinical Assessment. J Burn Care Res. 2018 Apr 20;39(3):445-449.
- Chung KK, Coates EC, Smith DJ Jr, Karlnoski RA, Hickerson WL, Arnold-Ross AL, Mosier MJ, Halerz M, Sprague AM, Mullins RF, Caruso DM, Albrecht M, Arnoldo BD, Burris AM, Taylor SL, Wolf SE; Randomized controlled Evaluation of high-volume hemofiltration in adult burn patients with Septic shoCk and acUte kidnEy injury (RESCUE) Investigators. High-volume hemofiltration in adult burn patients with septic shock and acute kidney injury: a multicenter randomized controlled trial. Crit Care. 2017 Nov 25;21(1):289.
- Palmieri TL, Holmes JH 4th, Arnoldo B, Peck M, Potenza B, Cochran A, King BT, Dominic W, Cartotto R, Bhavsar D, Kemalyan N, Tredget E, Stapelberg F, Mozingo D, Friedman B, Greenhalgh DG, Taylor SL, Pollock BH. Transfusion Requirement in Burn Care Evaluation (TRIBE): A Multicenter Randomized Prospective Trial of Blood Transfusion in Major Burn Injury. Ann Surg. 2017 Oct;266(4):595-602.
- Myers R, Lozenski J, Wyatt M, Peña M, Northrop K, Bhavsar D, Kovac A. Sedation and Analgesia for Dressing Change: A Survey of American Burn Association Burn Centers. J Burn Care Res. 2017 Jan/Feb;38(1):e48-e54.
- Clinical outcomes/advances
- Grow JN, Holding J, Korentager R. Assessing the Efficacy of Deoxycholic Acid for the Treatment of Submental Fat: A Three-Dimensional Study. Aesthet Surg J. 2019 Nov 13;39(12):1400-1411.
- Jang B, Bhavsar DR. The Prevalence of Psychiatric Disorders Among Elective Plastic Surgery Patients. Eplasty. 2019 Mar 18;19:e6.
- De Souza MM, Jewell AD, Grief SN, Vail BA. Plastic Surgery for Women. Prim Care. 2018 Dec;45(4):705-717.
- Clinical outcomes
- Prophylactic lymphovenous bypass in the setting of axillary lymph node dissection
- Long SR, Butterworth JA. Chyle Leak Following Autologous Breast Reconstruction: A Rare Complication of a Deep Inferior Epigastric Artery
- Perforator Flap. Ann Plast Surg. 2019 Feb;82(2):193-195.
- Clinical outcomes
- Peripheral nerve repair
- Brachial plexus repair
- Usage of autogenous graft (RANGER)
- Donor site plating after free flap harvest from upper extremity
- Safa B, Jain S, Desai MJ, Greenberg JA, Niacaris TR, Nydick JA, Leversedge FJ,Megee DM, Zoldos J, Rinker BD, McKee DM, MacKay BJ, Ingari JV, Nesti LJ, Cho M, Valerio IL, Kao DS, El-Sheikh Y, Weber RV, Shores JT, Styron JF, Thayer WP,Przylecki WH, Hoyen HA, Buncke GM. Peripheral nerve repair throughout the body with processed nerve allografts: Results from a large multicenter study. Microsurgery. 2020 Feb 26.
- Silverman DA, Przylecki WH, Shnayder Y, Tsue TT, Girod DA, Andrews BT. Expanding the Utilization of the Osteocutaneous Radial Forearm Free Flap beyond Mandibular Reconstruction. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2016 Jun;32(5):361-5.
- Clinical outcomes
- Sterling DA, Grow JN, Vargo JD, Nazir N, Butterworth JA. Happiness in Plastic Surgery: A Cross-Sectional Analysis of 595 Practicing Plastic Surgeons, Fellows, Residents, and Medical Students. Ann Plast Surg. 2020 Jan;84(1):90-94.
- Grow JN, Vargo JD, Nazir N, Korentager R. Smartphone Applications in Plastic Surgery: A Cross-Sectional Survey of 577 Plastic Surgeons, Fellows, Residents, and Medical Students. Aesthet Surg J. 2019 Nov 13;39(12):NP530-NP537.
- Coombs DM, Lanni MA, Fosnot J, Patel A, Korentager R, Lin IC, Djohan R. Professional Burnout in United States Plastic Surgery Residents: Is it a Legitimate Concern? Aesthet Surg J. 2019 Oct 17.
- Cell behavior and interactions
- Novel biomaterial scaffolds
- Wound healing and tissue reconstruction
- Neal CA, Nelson-Brantley JG, Detamore MS, Staecker H, Mellott AJ. A Protocol for Decellularizing Mouse Cochleae for Inner Ear Tissue Engineering. J Vis Exp. 2018 Jan 1;(131).
- Jadalannagari S, Berry AM, Hopkins RA, Bhavsar D, Aljitawi OS. Potential mechanisms underlying ectodermal differentiation of Wharton's jelly mesenchymal stem cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016 Sep 16;478(2):831-7.