Medical Student Information
Medical Student Elective
A 4th year medical student elective is offered to University of Kansas Medical Center students and to outside medical students. The rotation is a one month elective which consists of 1 week of inpatient, 1 week of consults, and 2 weeks of outpatient rehabilitation medicine. Students participate in the evaluation, goal-setting, and the team process that is involved in treating rehabilitation patients.
While on the outpatient rotation, medical students will work closely with residents in evaluations, differential diagnoses and therapeutic strategies. The students will also have an opportunity to observe and learn the fundamentals of EMGs, and participate in several therapeutic procedures. Students will learn how to do a thorough exam of the spine and extremities, with detailed attention to muscles, nerves and joints.
While on the inpatient portion of the rotation, students will be responsible for comprehensive physical examinations, daily notes and check out to the on-call residents. Students will also present patients during weekly team conferences to gain a better understanding of the team-concept when integrating therapeutic goals and treatment plans for a wide spectrum of patients including TBI, multiple trauma, SCI, CVA, transplant, joint replacement etc. The student may also be given a topic to present in detail to staff and residents.
At the completion of this educational experience, the students should be able to:
- Demonstrate how to do a comprehensive history and physical examination
- Demonstrate an understanding of nerve, muscular, joint, bone, brain and spinal cord pathology
- Discuss the etiology and prevalence of disabling conditions in the United States
- Discuss and understand the therapeutic strategies and thought process in creating a Rehabilitation program for specific medical issues.
- Understand the importance and effect that rehabilitation medicine has on patients, both emotionally and socially.
All inquires for fourth-year clinical electives should be referred to the Registrar's office website the prospective student will download and submit an application. Visiting students will not be guaranteed a spot in a rotation without submitting an application since the application must be reviewed to ensure that the student meets KUMC entrance requirements.
Please go to Visiting Medical Students for more complete information.