How to Apply
Interested in applying to the Neurosurgery residency program at KU Medical Center? Here's how.
SPECIAL NOTICE: The University of Kansas Medical Center Department of Neurosurgery will host resident applicant interviews virtually during the 2022-23 academic year for residency positions beginning July 1, 2023. If you are interested in a Q&A with our residents to learn more about our program, including virtual opportunities, please fill out our interest form and we'll contact with a time and Zoom link for the meeting. Please contact Margaret Minea at firstname.lastname@example.org for any other questions.
Our program offers two residency positions per year and includes the integrated PGY-1 year.
Application criteria for eligible candidates
- All medical schools must be accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or meet the accreditation requirements of the Kansas State Board of Healing Arts’ approved medical school list.
- You must pass United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Steps 1, 2 and CS OR COMLEX Levels 1, 2 and PE prior to the submission of our rank order list. While we do not have minimum score requirements, we require passing scores on the first attempt on all USMLE or COMLEX examinations. Please note: USMLE Step scores will be changing to Pass/Fail in the near future.
- According to University of Kansas School of Medicine policy, only J-1 visas sponsored by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) are accepted.
- A minimum of 6 months of U.S. clinical experience.
- Graduation from medical school within the past 2 years.
Interested in learning more?
For additional questions and information about our residency program and the criteria and application process, please contact:
Margaret Minea, Residency Coordinator
University of Kansas School of Medicine
Department of Neurosurgery
3901 Rainbow Boulevard, MS 3021
Kansas City, KS 66160