Skip to main content.

Movement Disorders Fellowships

Discover how we prepare our movement disorder fellows for successful careers.

Training Information

Our two-year fellowship in Movement Disorders is primarily designed for neurologists interested in a career in academic medicine. Under the close guidance of our expert faculty, our fellows gain the critical knowledge and skills necessary to diagnose and treat a wide variety of common and rare movement disorders in people of all ages.

In addition, our fellowship includes an emphasis on research and scholarly activities. After completing the training program, fellows receive a master's degree (MSc) in clinical trials from the University of Kansas School of Health Professions.

Schedule

During the first year, the fellow and the program director will meet monthly to determine the following month's schedule. Approximately 80% of the fellow's time is spent at KU Medical Center, while the remaining 20% is spent at Children's Mercy Hospital. Research and scholarly activities will take place at KU Medical Center.

In the second year, the month-to-month schedule is set by the fellow and the program director. Here's an example of a typical schedule.

  • Four half days in clinics and programming at The University of Kansas Health System
  • Four half days in clinics and programming at Children's Mercy Hospital
  • Four half days dedicated to research projects

Interested in learning more?

For additional details about our training program, review the Movement Disorders Fellowship Handbook and contact Sonya Fabricius at sfabricius@kumc.edu or 913-588-6094.

Fellowship leadership team

Gary Gronseth, M.D., FAAN
Professor and Chair, Department of Neurology

Rajesh Pahwa, M.D.
Professor, Department of Neurology
Program Director

Sonya Fabricius
Education Coordinator
sfabricius@kumc.edu

913-588-6094

KU School of Medicine

University of Kansas Medical Center
Department of Neurology
Mailstop 2012
3901 Rainbow Blvd.
Kansas City, KS 66160
Phone: 913-588-6970
Fax: 913-588-6965