HERON (Healthcare Enterprise Repository for Ontological Narration) is a search discovery tool that allows you to search de-identified data from various hospital and medical center sources that include but are not limited to Epic/O2 (the hospital electronic medical record), IDX (the clinical billing system), KU Hospital Cancer Registry, KU Biospecimen Repository, REDCap (selected projects), Social Security Death Index, and University HealthSystem Consortium (Quality Measure Data). By combining the various data sources, researchers can look at the data in new ways not available when viewing data from one source at a time.
1. Access HERON: https://heron.kumc.edu
Requirements for access:
- Secure KUMC network (either on campus or via VPN)
- KUMC Faculty member status or sponsored by a faculty member
- Up-to-date Human Subjects Training
- Signed system access agreement
2. Create a search
- Search by dragging and dropping concepts (e.g., search terms) into groups
- Search options include:
- Limit by dates
- Searching within the same financial encounter
- Defining multiple occurrences
- Excluding items, and more
- Watch a video demonstrating a simple search
- Watch a video discussing the search options within the tool
3. Analysis Tools
Each tool requires a patient set, also called a patient list. To create a patient set, click the Patient List checkbox on the search pop-up that appears after you click Run Query. Once the search is complete, you can access the patient set in the previous query box (lower left section of the screen) by clicking on the search title and opening the results folder.
- Demographics - quickly create a bar graph for demographic information (e.g., gender, race, etc.) for one or two patient sets.
- Timeline - create a visual representation for patient observation occurrence. Observations are marked with a tic on a timeline. Hover over the observation tic for additional information, such as time or value when available.
4. Request Data
Learn more about the Frontiers Research Participant Registry and searching HERON to find consenting patients for research trials.
Medical Informatics Support
REDCap Training Videos are a great starting point.
Introduction to REDCap and HERON: Beginner Training Clinics
This is an introduction for new users or users needing a refresher.
- Tuesdays 12 p.m. - 1 p.m. CST
- Sign up for Beginner Training Clinics
For questions or help with projects: REDCap & HERON Office Hours
15-20 minute appointment to assist with specific questions (this is not a beginner course).
- Monday & Wednesday 4 p.m. - 5 p.m. CST, Friday 9 a.m. - 10 a.m. CST
- Sign up for REDCap & Heron Office Hours
For support by email: Contact MI Support at email@example.com
For project development MI: Contact MI Support at firstname.lastname@example.org. Funding is required.