The “barracks,” Hinch Hall, and Bell Memorial Hospital, 1933.
1930: Harry R. Wahl, M.D., dean of the KU School of Medicine, with 11 other physicians, organizes the Kansas chapter of Alpha Omega Alpha
1931: Delta Chapter of Sigma Delta Tau International, the only honor society for nursing and the fourth chapter founded, is established at KU.
1932: The first Department of Nursing Education bachelor of arts degree is awarded.
1933: KU School of Medicine students are among the first to complete the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) examinations - later called the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) examinations.
1934: The first medicine residencies at the KU School of Medicine are filled by Leslie B. Smith, M.D., Max Berry, M.D., and J.F. Simon, M.D.
1934: The first surgery residencies at the KU School of Medicine are filled by Wayne Bartlett, M.D., and Morris Harless, M.D.
1935: The Children's Pavilion is built.
1935: A. Morris Ginsberg, M.D., clinical professor of medicine, publishes "Studies on the Coronary Circulation (Effect of Intravenous Injections of Dextrose on the Coronary Circulation)" in Archives of Internal Medicine, which remained a standard reference for the next 40 years.
1935: C.C. Nesselrode, M.D., professor of clinical surgery, organizes the Women's Field Army, a national organization for education and control of cancer.
1935: Noble P. Sherwood, M.D., Ph.D., chair of bacteriology from 1917 to 1948, publishes Immunology, an internationally acclaimed textbook.
1936: Earl Padgett, M.D., assistant professor of dermatology, with George J. Hood, M.D., invents the Padgett-Hood Dermatome, revolutionizing the plastic surgery technique of skin grafting.
1936: Medical technology classes begin with six students in the first class.
1937: Ralph H. Major, M.D., publishes Physical Diagnosis, which becomes a standard textbook throughout the world.
July 9, 1938: Paul H. Lorhan, M.D., is appointed anesthetist-in-chief and instructor in anesthesia. Lorhan develops the ether dripper, the endo-trachael apparatus for children, and the Lorhan-Webster staticator.
1938: Arthur Hertzler, M.D., publishes a national best seller, The Horse and Buggy Doctor.
1938: The Department of Nursing Education Student Government is organized.
1938: Eleanor Henderson Grandstaff, M.D., (M'37) becomes the first anesthesiology section resident.
1939: George A. Walker, M.D. (M'35), associate professor of pathology, invents and patents the Cathode Ray Electro-Myoencephalograph, a device that made it possible to continuously observe a patient's electrocardiogram by direct visualization of the curve on the face of the cathode ray tube.
1939: Hixon Laboratory Building opens with the entire third floor containing the History of Medicine Library.
1939: Tom Hamilton, M.D., is appointed chair of the new Department of Bacteriology and Microbiology.