To be one of the premier academic anesthesiology and perioperative medicine programs in the country.
The mission of the Department of Anesthesiology is to:
- Deliver the highest quality care during the perioperative phase, in the ICUs and pain clinics
- Provide excellence in education of medical students, residents, fellow, and other health care providers
- Foster the advancement of knowledge through research and collaboration with our partners in healthcare, service, and leadership
- Develop an environment of caring with an emphasis on quality, patient safety, performance improvement, professionalism and compassion
- Cultivate leadership within the department, university and our healthcare partner facilities at the local and national level
Message from the Chair
Welcome to the Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
The dynamic specialty of anesthesiology has witnessed unprecedented growth and change since the administration of ether in 1846. Today the field has evolved into a continuum of perioperative care beginning with the presurgical assessment and education of the patient through intraoperative management to the postoperative phase.
The field of anesthesiology continues to grow with the evolution of multiple subspecialties. The anesthesiologist of the 21st century is called upon not only for the perioperative care of the surgical patient but also provides his or her expertise in the intensive care setting, the management of pain, high-risk obstetrics surgery, pediatric care, organ transplant, cardiothoracic cases and a variety of other challenging clinical settings.
The Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Kansas Medical Center is committed to training physicians to become outstanding, competent, and compassionate anesthesiologists. The structure of our training program encourages the development of our residents in a supportive environment allowing them to incorporate the skills and knowledge needed to provide the best possible care to their patients. Our extraordinary faculty has great breadth in their variety of interests and depth in their specific areas of focus. We strive to create an engaging and challenging experience with the incorporation of didactic lectures, hands-on experience in a wide range of clinical settings along with cutting-edge simulator based education.
I would encourage you to take some time to fully explore our website. If you require further information please do not hesitate to call us. We are very proud of the program and have a lot to share.
Once again on behalf of the Department of Anesthesiology, I welcome you to our website!
Talal W. Khan, MD, MBA