Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get financial aid or a scholarship?
The Department of Respiratory Care Education does not offer scholarships of its own. However, the department will help you find information about merit- and need-based scholarships available from professional organizations.

For information about financial aid during freshman and sophomore years at KU, write or call the University of Kansas:

University of Kansas Office of Student Financial Aid
50 Strong Hall
Lawrence, KS 66045-1920
913-864-4700, 711 TTY

University Scholarship Center
33 Strong Hall
Lawrence, KS 66045
913-864-5439, 711 TTY

Students entering the respiratory care program (junior year) should write or call the University of Kansas Medical Center Office of Student Financial Aid.

How many credits can transfer to KU's Respiratory Care program?
A maximum of 64 credit hours may be transferred to the program from another institution. However, to graduate from KU, 45 credits must be from junior/senior-level course work. This means community college students must convert credits (usually at least 11 hours) from their associate degree program to KU junior/senior level credits. The cost for this is $12.50 per course converted.

Do I have to be a full-time student?
For traditional bachelor's degree program students on campus, yes. Students in the degree-completion program for RRT professionals may take as many or few class as desired during each semester. It is recommended students complete the program within three years.

I took a combined anatomy and physiology course. Will this transfer to KU?
Yes, this course will transfer and meet one course requirement for respiratory care but you must take an additional physiology course to fulfill the prerequisites.

Is financial aid available?
Yes. Please check the financial aid page of the program of interest for details specific to those students. In addition, please visit the school's scholarships page.

What on-campus housing options are available for students?
There is no student housing on the KU Medical Center campus. Most students live in apartments in surrounding neighborhoods and are responsible for arranging their own housing. Housing is available for students on the Lawrence campus. For more information, please see KU Student Housing.

Is the background check required when applying to the program?
No, not during the application process. Students are required to follow the background check procedure once accepted into the program and to complete it before enrolling in classes.

I already have a degree, but it's not from a U.S. college or university. What steps do I need to take?
All non-U.S. transcripts must be evaluated before they will be accepted. Please see the information for international students page for more details about this procedure.

Last modified: Sep 07, 2018

Prospective Students

Applications are still open for the class beginning fall 2021.

The deadline for priority status was February 1. However, applications may be accepted after that date based on space available in the next class.

Learn about the program

Program overview
Eligibility and requirements
Tuition and fees
KU Core Courses PDF document
Clinical Affiliates
How to apply
Frequently asked questions

Explore the opportunities in this program: Connect with an advisor today!

Karen Schell

Karen Schell, D.H. Sc, RRT-NPS
913-588-4633 (TTY 711)

Students currently enrolled on the KU Lawrence campus may also contact the KU Undergraduate Advising Center.