Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Many of the questions asked by prospective students are similar. Common questions and their answers are summarized below, in the hope that this will aid in your decision-making!

Is there a central place where I can go to find information about KU Medical Center?
Yes. The KU Medical Center homepage is a good starting point. Also, the Office of Student Services will direct you to resources intended to introduce you to life as a student at the medical center.

Is financial aid available to graduate students?
If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible for federal aid or scholarships administered through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The School of Health Professions also offers some scholarship opportunities to students once they have entered a program.

What types of housing are available?
KU Medical Center does not have student housing. Students live in apartments or rooms in the surrounding neighborhoods and are responsible for arranging their own accommodations. Real Estate with Honors provides listings of available off-campus housing.

What are the costs of attending KU?
Tuition and fees are set each year by KU and the Kansas Board of Regents. For this year's figures, please visit the Office of the Registrar. Tuition payment is due at the beginning of each semester. International students are required to show evidence of available resources in order to support the costs of study at KU (tuition, fees, housing, living expenses).

How can I obtain a copy of KU's graduate catalog?
Hard copies of the catalog are no longer available. The catalog is available online at

International students often have questions unique to their situation. Where can I find more information?
The Office of International Programs may help answer many questions. Please contact the office to help find answers to questions related to being an international student in Kansas City.

What are the requirements for international students to obtain a visa?
There are a series of forms and approvals that are necessary in order to obtain an F-1 student visa. When the student is accepted into the program, the student must provide documentation that they have sufficient financial resources to support their living and education expenses. Once this documentation is received, the department submits a Request for I-20 form through the approval channels. Once that request is approved, it is sent to the student in their home country. The student takes that form to the U.S. consulate, and obtains an F-1 (student) visa which permits them to study in the U.S. 

What are the English language requirements for graduate study?
In order to be considered for admission, students who are not native English speakers must take the TOEFL and earn a sufficient score to be eligible for admission. This requirement is waived for non-native English speakers who have earned at least a bachelor's degree from an institution in the U.S. 

What is Kansas City like, anyway?
We hope these pages will help answer this question!

Is financial aid available?
Yes. Please check the financial aid page of the program of interest for details specific to those students. In addition, please visit the school's scholarships page.

What on-campus housing options are available for students?
There is no student housing on the KU Medical Center campus. Most students live in apartments in surrounding neighborhoods and are responsible for arranging their own housing. Housing is available for students on the Lawrence campus. For more information, please see KU Student Housing.

Is the background check required when applying to the program?
No, not during the application process. Students are required to follow the background check procedure once accepted into the program and to complete it before enrolling in classes.

I already have a degree, but it's not from a U.S. college or university. What steps do I need to take?
All non-U.S. transcripts must be evaluated before they will be accepted. Please see the information for international students page for more details about this procedure.

Last modified: Mar 02, 2020

Prospective Students

Campus visit dates for summer 2021 have been completed. Please check back here in late August for opportunities to visit during the fall semester.

About the entry-level OTD program

Applications to this program are accepted Aug. 1–Dec. 1 for the class entering the program the following fall.

Program overview

Why choose KU?

Admission requirements

How to apply

Additional information for applicants

Costs and financial aid


Frequently asked questions

JaySTART Clinic
This clinic provides free occupational and physical therapy services to patients in the Kansas City community. Learn about rehabilitation services provided by the clinic and how to make an appointment.