Skip to main content

School of Health Professions

School of Health Professions > Information for International Applicants

Information for International Applicants

The following information is provided as a guide for students who are considering a program in the School of Health Professions and is intended to assist students having met the standard eligibility requirements for their desired program.

Determine if you will be considered an international (or foreign) student

Applicants are considered an international student if they are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Students are classified as an international applicant regardless if they have another U.S. degree. International applicants must meet additional requirements for acceptance to academic programs on the KU Medical Center campus and must provide additional documentation during the admission process.

Students who have already been enrolled in courses at another KU campus are still considered international when applying to KU School of Health Professions programs and must re-submit international student documentation. Programs in the School do not accept students before their junior year of study; therefore, students without the prerequisites may need to contact the Lawrence campus KU Office of International Student Services for assistance.

Immigration requirements

All individuals who are not citizens or lawful permanent residents of the U.S. are required to check in with the KU Medical Center Office of International Programs immediately upon arriving at the University of Kansas Medical Center, before commencing any program of work, study, or research. Such individuals must submit passport, visa (if applicable), Form I-94, and other relevant documents as follows:

  • F-1 & F-2: I-20 processed at port of entry or for transfer, as applicable

  • J-1 & J-2: DS2019 processed at port of entry or for transfer, as applicable

In addition, all J-1 and J-2 exchange visitors are required to submit proof of insurance as mandated by the U.S. State Department for self and all dependents present in the U.S., effective from the start date of the program until the end date, or for one year, whichever is shorter. Other visa classifications may need to submit documents in addition to those stated above, depending on circumstances.

Citizenship and Immigration Services requires all non-citizens to provide their current residential address (not a work address nor a P.O. box) and home telephone number (not a work or pager number).

Master's degree in speech-language pathology
Doctorate in Philosophy in Audiology or Speech-Language Pathology

International students in these programs (regardless of country of origin) must have their English proficiency evaluated by the KU Applied English Center.

English Language Proficiency

What are the English language requirements? Do I need to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores?
All students are expected to have good command of the English language.

International students whose native language is not English must demonstrate an established level of English language proficiency through either the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or the academic format of the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The test must have been taken within two years of attending the first class at KU Medical Center.

Note: proof of English proficiency is often required even if English is the primary or a very common language in the student's home country. Earning a degree from a institution outside the U.S. where the language of instruction was English does not except students from this requirement. Academic programs have the right to establish more stringent requirements than those defined by KU Medical Center and the Office of Graduate Studies, if necessary.

For more on English language requirements, including minimum test scores, please see the KU Medical Center Office of International Programs. Test scores must be original forms sent directly from the administering agency to KU. Photocopies will not be accepted. ETS school code: 6895

Although the Internet-based TOEFL includes a speaking component, a minimum score on the Speaking section is not required for many programs in the School of Health Professions. Additional scores and requirements exist for students employed at KU, including graduate teaching and research assistants.

Foreign Education Credentials Evaluation

To ensure eligibility for health care employment upon receiving their degree, it is essential for the applicant to determine if an evaluation of their foreign education credentials is required. Please see the application materials for the academic program of interest for these requirements.

International Transcripts

In addition to sending an official copy of each transcript, as above, have your transcripts evaluated by World Education Services OR Educational Credential Evaluators. The evaluation must include course-by-course evaluation, grade evaluation, and indicate the degree earned in U.S. terms (bachelors, masters, doctorate, etc). An official copy of the evaluation is required.

Please note: transcripts and grades earned outside the U.S. must be evaluated, even if classes were taught in English and the transcript is written in English. For example, transcripts from India and other recent British colonies must be evaluated.

Frequently Asked Questions

I do not have my TOEFL score yet. Can I apply for conditional admission now and provide English-language requirements later?
KU cannot provide any type of admission to students until an application (and application fee) has been submitted and reviewed by the academic program.

I am currently a KU student on the Lawrence campus, do I have to provide immigration documentation and English language scores, even though I already did this before?
Yes. Like domestic applicants, many international students begin their studies in the KU Lawrence Campus College of Liberal Arts and Sciences as pre-health professions "majors" and later continue their advanced study at KU Medical Center. All students must submit new documentation when applying to programs on the KU Medical Center campus.

This page is not an official declaration of eligibility and the information provided may change at any time without notice.

Last modified: Jan 23, 2021

View this page
in another language:

English language testing



KU Medical Center Office of International Programs

KU Lawrence campus Office of International Programs

Background checks