How to Apply
Note: the KU application for this program is currently under revision and will not be available here until late August 2021.
The University of Kansas application fee is $65.00 ($85.00 for international students). It will be helpful to have the following information ready before starting the online application.
Grade Point Average in Communication Science Disorders/Speech-Language-Hearing Courses
REQUIRED for all applicants: Include all CSD/SPLH equivalent courses within the application's online GPA calculator.
- Do not include courses required by the College of Liberal Arts and Science (e.g., history, college algebra, etc.).
- If a course was required in the student's CSD/SPLH degree plan, but was not offered in the department, please include the course (e.g., linguistics).
- Do not include in-progress courses. In-progress courses can be reviewed via transcripts.
- Include research methods course work.
- Do not include statistics course work.
- Please indicate course numbers and names.
- Do not include courses where grades were assigned as "pass/fail" or "satisfactory".
The GPA will be automatically calculated. It is based on KU's GPA calculator and will only calculate the GPA for the applicant's undergraduate major.
Students with a degree other than speech-language pathology, or communication sciences and disorders, and all international students complete the calculator with the courses taken which apply or are equivalent to CSD/SPLH courses.
Applicants will be prompted to submit a short essay on the following topics. Write the essay before starting the online application, save the file, and copy-and-paste the text into the application.
- Examine the data in the figure below. To demonstrate your analytical and written communication skills, describe the data represented by the bar graph. What are your interpretations of the bar graph and what additional information would be helpful for you to fully interpret the bar graph (200 word limit)?
- To demonstrate your analytical and written communication skills, describe an unsolved problem that you would like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma, etc. and does not need to be related to speech-language pathology. Explain its significance to you and the steps you would take to identify a solution (350 word limit).
Curriculum vitae or résumé
Provide a 1- or 2-page PDF document of work and academic history including professional leadership contributions as well as volunteer activities. Refer to the instructions to students for creating a résumé and sample résumé #1 and sample résumé #2.
English language proficiency
All applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency. Applicants may be asked to have their English proficiency evaluated through either the TOEFL or IELTS testing systems. When required, the test must have been taken within two (2) years of the first semester of enrollment. Results must be provided directly to KU by the testing service using TOEFL school code 6871. Photocopies of scores will not be accepted.
A reference provides a professional recommendation on the applicant's behalf. It is preferred that college instructors provide these recommendations, but past supervisors during employment or volunteer positions are also acceptable. The recommendations may not be obtained from family members, friends, etc. Please refer to the information for students in selecting references.
Applicants will enter the names and contact information (including email addresses) of three (3) individuals into the online application. The application system will prompt the references to submit a reference letter and automatically send them the graduate letter of recommendation form . Note: the recommendation request may be submitted before the complete online application is submitted.
Ensure each reference is willing to submit this electronically, and inform them that they will be receiving an email from email@example.com requesting them to submit a reference for you online. Recommenders may use the instructions for reference letter writers for more assistance.
Please provide a copy of an official transcript displaying the school's seal from every institution from which a degree has been received. In addition, ALL prerequisite courses, even if acquired apart from the degree, must be documented on official transcripts.
It is appropriate for copies of transcripts to have "copy" watermarks. Note: printing a page from a website does not meet this requirement. Student advising reports or any transcript with the words "unofficial transcript" in the header are not accepted.
Request an official transcript from each institution's Office of the Registrar, take a photo or scan it, and upload directly into the online application. KU students may send a copy of their transcript directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. All transcripts must be uploaded by the student with their online application for the application to be considered complete. Transcripts provided to KU in any other way may not be considered part of the application.
Contact email@example.com or 913-588-5935 (711 TTY) with any questions.
- The admissions committee reviews applications and makes recommendations to the Office of Graduate Studies for final processing.
- Evaluation is based principally on academic, research, and clinical achievement and potential, including evidence from extracurricular activities.
- Applicants are notified of application status by April 1 for fall program start.
- Accepted students deciding to enter the program will request an official transcript during orientation to provide documentation of successful completion of an undergraduate degree.
International Transcripts must be evaluated by World Education Services or Educational Credential Evaluators. The evaluation must include course-by-course evaluation, grade evaluation, and indicate the degree earned in U.S. terms (bachelors, masters, doctorate, etc).An official copy of the evaluation is required.
Statement in determination of residency: Please address questions regarding residency requirements to the Office of the Registrar.
Jul 30, 2021