Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

I cannot find the program on the application site at (KU Lawrence campus)? Where do I apply? 
The doctorate of audiology application is processed via the KU Medical Center's Office of Admissions. In addition, all applicants must apply through the Council of Academic Programs in Communication Science and Disorders Centralized Application System, also know as CSDCAS. The appropriate links to apply are found on the program's's how to apply page.

How many applications are received each year? How many students are admitted?
Typically KU receives more than 50 applications each year to this program. Applicants are competing for approximately 15 spots in the program each year.

What makes for a strong application?
Applications are viewed holistically, thus the committee considers all pieces of the application; however, applicants are encouraged to take particular note of the following:

  • Academic performance
  • Research experience
  • Clinical experience
  • Leadership qualities
  • Problem-solving ability
  • Interpersonal communication skills
  • Evidence of diverse experiences
  • Volunteer opportunities

My cumulative GPA is below a 3.0. Do I have a chance to be admitted?
KU requires a 3.0 overall GPA for admission to a graduate program. In some limited cases, exceptional applicants may be considered for provisional admission.

Should I wait to submit my application until my fall grades appear on my transcript?
It is up to applicants as to whether or not to include fall semester grades in their application. It is not necessary since the admissions committee will have enough information to consider; however, students may wait to submit the application after grades are available. All required materials must be received by the January 15 deadline. All transcripts must be uploaded at the time of application.

How easy is it to obtain residency in the state of Kansas for the purpose of in-state tuition?
Students must have continuous physical residency in Kansas for at least 365 days prior to the first day of class. Please reference the Office of the University Registrar’s website for the residency policy.

What’s the difference between the Au.D. and the Ph.D. in Audiology?
The Au.D. is a clinical doctoral degree and prepares graduates to enter work in health care as an audiologist or related employment. The Ph.D. is for scholars wishing to engage in research and further knowledge and understanding of the field. Many Ph.D. graduates proceed to positions in academia and/or educational leadership.

Can I apply to the graduate program if I still have a prerequisite courses to take?
Yes, as long as there are just a couple classes to take. In these instances, if accepted, students will take the remainder of the prerequisites before starting the graduate program. If there is room in the student's first semester schedule, they could also take graduate courses. It is preferred that students have already completed all of the prerequisite courses.

I have low English proficiency. Do you offer provisional acceptance into the program?
KU does not offer provisional admission for students with low English proficiency.

I am an international student, but I received my degree from an international English-speaking institution. Do I need to take the TOEFL?
No. If the student's native language is not English but they earned a degree from an institution in the U.S., or from an English-speaking school in another country, it is not required to take the TOEFL.

Do you accept applications after the January 15 deadline?
Unless applicants have an extenuating circumstance, the program strictly adheres to the January 15 deadline.

Are the fourth-year Au.D. externships paid?
Funded and unfunded externships are available for Au.D. students in their fourth year. Students can work with the clinic director to find a local clinical externship opportunity, which include both paid and unpaid options. Alternately, students may search for externships on their own. Many times, regional and national searches yield a paid externship position, although some excellent opportunities are available that are not paid. All externships must be approved by the program.

How heavily is grade point average weighted in the admission process?
An applicant's GPA is one of many factors considered when making admissions decisions. The program evaluates an applicant based on the overall strength of all the submitted materials.

How does the two-campus program work? When and where are classes held?
Students attend classes on both campuses, providing students exposure to more top faculty and the opportunity for expanded access to clinical training sites throughout the Greater Kansas City and Lawrence/Topeka areas. Students often carpool to the KU Medical Center for Monday/Wednesday class days and to the Lawrence campus for Tuesday/Thursday class days.

The number of hours spent on each campus varies from semester to semester. Students are seldom required to commute between campuses on the same day. There are occasional evening classes, but most courses are offered during the day.

Where do students live?
Some students reside near campus in Lawrence or Kansas City, but others choose housing they feel is halfway between campuses or on major routes between campuses. Designated student parking is available on both campuses with the purchase of a parking permit.

Do you offer an online or distance-learning program?
No. This is a campus-based degree program.

If I want more details about KU's program, where can I find it?
View acceptance rates, student funding, and other metrics about KU's program at the American Speech-Language Hearing Association's EdFind.

I would like to know more about the program. What are my next steps?
Request an in-person or virtual campus visit!

Is financial aid available?
Yes. Please check the financial aid page of the program of interest for details specific to those students. In addition, please visit the school's scholarships page.

What on-campus housing options are available for students?
There is no student housing on the KU Medical Center campus. Most students live in apartments in surrounding neighborhoods and are responsible for arranging their own housing. Housing is available for students on the Lawrence campus. For more information, please see KU Student Housing.

Is the background check required when applying to the program?
No, not during the application process. Students are required to follow the background check procedure once accepted into the program and to complete it before enrolling in classes.

I already have a degree, but it's not from a U.S. college or university. What steps do I need to take?
All non-U.S. transcripts must be evaluated before they will be accepted. Please see the information for international students page for more details about this procedure.

Last modified: Sep 18, 2020
Prospective Students

Visit the KU Medical Center campus and learn what makes the University of Kansas a great place to study audiology.

Sign Up Today!

KU is here to answer questions and help students prepare for a rewarding career in audiology. Please contact the program office for advising assitance at