Curriculum & Degree Requirements
Review the degree requirements and coursework to complete KU's professional master's degree in athletic training.
The master's degree in athletic training prepares you for a career as an entry-level athletic trainer. The curriculum includes classroom, laboratory, scholarship and clinical education opportunities.
Normally, students will have completed these requirements within two years of admission to the program, but a maximum of seven years is allowed, per university policy.
- Successful completion of a minimum of 68 credit hours.
- Successful completion of all required clinical experiences.
- A cumulative grade-point average of at least a 3.0 for all KU graduate coursework.
- Enrollment in a minimum of one credit hour during the semester the student will graduate.
- Successful completion of all program courses below.
- Successful completion of the clinical reasoning capstone project.
View an example plan of study (PDF) for KU's master of science in athletic training.
- ATTR 701 Foundations in Athletic Training (1)
- ATTR 708 Applied Anatomy (1)*
- ATTR 709 Advanced Topics in Human Anatomy (6)*
- ATTR 713 Integrated Clinical Education I (2)
- ATTR 714 Evaluation & Management I (4)*
- ATTR 716 Interventions I (2)
- ATTR 718 Documentation & Health Informatics (1)*
- ATTR 719 Applied Kinesiology & Biomechanics (4)*
- ATTR 723 Integrated Clinical Education II (2)
- ATTR 724 Evaluation & Management II (6)*
- ATTR 725 Research Seminar (1)
- ATTR 726 Interventions II (4)*
- ATTR 727 Clinical Reasoning I (1)
- ATTR 755 Pharmacology (2)*
- ATTR 793 Integrated Clinical Education III (1)
- ATTR 807 Clinical Reasoning II (1)
- ATTR 812 Health Care Administration (2)*
- ATTR 813 Clinical Experience I (2)
- ATTR 814 Evaluation & Management III (2)
- ATTR 816 Interventions III (3)
- ATTR 818 Medical Imaging (1)*
- ATTR 821 Athletic Training Seminar (1)
- ATTR 822 Behavioral Health (2)
- ATTR 824 Performance Enhancement (1)
- ATTR 827 Clinical Reasoning III (1)
- ATTR 837 Clinical Reasoning Capstone (1)
- ATTR 843 Clinical Experience II (4)
- ATTR 863 Integrated Clinical Education IV (1)
- ATTR 883 Clinical Experience III (8)
* Course shared in whole or in part with KU's physical therapy degree program.
** These schedules are provided for reference only. For complete, current information about courses and requirements in our master of science in athletic training, please visit the Academic Catalog.
Vaccines and Clinical Site Requirements
The University of Kansas Medical Center requires various immunizations for its students. For a detailed list please visit the student health forms webpage or speak with Student Health Services. These immunization requirements help promote health and safety and facilitate clinical placement.
Many, if not all, clinical sites who partner with the University of Kansas Medical Center require proof of these vaccines for students engaged in training or other programmatic experiences at clinical sites. Not being vaccinated may preclude students from participating in activities, potentially impeding their ability to complete all program requirements for degree completion. Applicants with questions should speak with a representative from the academic program to which they intend to apply.