We recognize the importance of continuous learning and support it by offering non-degree-seeking opportunities. Review the application steps and deadlines below.
We know that busy professionals sometimes can't commit to a full-time graduate program but still need to take courses or workshops to advance in their field.
Our non-degree-seeking student option allows you to enroll in specific courses for additional learning, or explore graduate-level education before committing to a degree program.
Some application requirements may be waived for non-degree-seeking students, and admission under this status does not affect acceptance into a degree-granting program later.
Prepare to Apply
Contact the department by e-mail to communicate with the graduate program director. We will verify the non-degree-seeking option suits your needs.
If you're a degree-seeking KU student, you'll need to consult with an advisor to confirm courses of interest will be credited toward your degree.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Review the program's Technical Standards and Requirements
- English Language Proficiency: All applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency through either the TOEFL or IELTS testing systems. The test must have been taken within two (2) years of the first semester of enrollment. Results must be provided directly to KUMC by the testing service using ETS school code 6895. Photocopies of scores will not be accepted.
- Transcripts: Arrange to have one official copy of each transcript from every college and university that you have attended sent directly to KU Medical Center at the following address:
Student Services / Office of Admissions
Mail Stop 4029
3901 Rainbow Blvd
Kansas City, KS 66160
How to Apply
All materials must be received by July 1 for the fall semester, December 1 for the spring semester, and May 1 for the summer session. The application-to-enrollment process takes at least three weeks.
Submit your initial application and pay the non-refundable application fee online by the posted deadline.
Please submit your completed application with the $60 application fee. You can pay by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or Electronic Check (U.S. banks only). Application fees are non-refundable. Electronic checks will be held for approximately six business days while the check clears.
Applications are not reviewed until all of the requested information is received.
Acceptance and Enrollment
The Office of Graduate Studies will send a letter to you and the department when your application is accepted.
Accepted students will receive a KU username and password by email, allowing enrollment via the “Enroll and Pay” webpage. Students are expected to begin monitoring their KU email account, as this is the main way administration and faculty use for communication.
Important notes on enrollment for non-degree-seeking students:
- All enrollment is conducted online. See the KU Medical Center Office of the Registrar for more information.
- Students often are required to obtain a permission number from the instructor or program before they can enroll in graduate classes.
- Students will pay either out-of-state or in-state tuition rates after residency status is determined by the Office of the Registrar.
- In addition to tuition, campus fees and online class fees are required.
- Students are notified via email when a bill is posted.
- Late fees are assessed automatically if enrollment occurs after the first day of classes for the term.
- Fee assessment questions should be directed to the Office of the Registrar.
- Fee payment questions should be directed to Student Financial Accounting.
For additional details, review the information about non-degree-seeking programs from KU Graduate Studies.