Skip to main content.

Frequently Asked Questions

Curious about KU’s health information management bachelor’s degree? We gathered the most common questions we hear from our applicants.

When is the application deadline?
Feb. 1. Learn more about how to apply online.

Can I use my current laptop to meet the computer requirement?

Yes, but the laptop must meet the computer requirements. If you have not yet purchased a laptop or tablet, use the requirements as a guide for your purchase. Note: As a KU student, you are eligible for a discount through Dell’s Education Purchase Program, which may be found through the myKUMC portal.

Because owning your own laptop/tablet is a requirement of the program, the expense is eligible for financial aid (up to $2,500). Students are responsible for contacting the financial aid office at 913-588-5170 to complete the appropriate paperwork.

Do all my application materials need to be sent in together?

Not exactly. Please follow the instructions in the application packet carefully so all documents required from the student are properly submitted. We understand that reference letters and transcripts will arrive individually, but the other materials should be sent in together.

Do I need to get the background check done when applying to the program?

No, but you will be required to follow the background check procedure once you are accepted into the program and to complete it before you are allowed to enter the program.

Can I take a combined anatomy and physiology course? What if only took a single combined anatomy/physiology course – do I have to take a second course to fulfill the requirement?

You may take a combined anatomy and physiology course; however, the course must be a minimum of 5 credit hours in order to fulfill the anatomy and physiology requirement. If the course does not meet the 5 credit hour minimum, an additional combined anatomy/physiology course (e.g. anatomy and physiology II) or a separate physiology course is required.

Will my financial aid transfer from KU to KU Medical Center?

No, it does not transfer from KU to KU Medical Center. Contact the KUMC Office of Student Financial Aid at 913-588-5170 or visit their website.

Do I need to have completed all the required prerequisites before I apply?

Students may still be enrolled in prerequisite course work during the application period. All prerequisites must be completed before the start of the program. Students with more than 6 credit hours of prerequisite course work remaining by the summer prior to the fall semester start may not be eligible for admission.

I have a degree from a non-U.S. university and want to seek admission to the program at KU. What steps do I need to take?

All non-U.S. transcripts must be evaluated by the Office of International Student and Scholar Services. Contact the department at 785-864-2616 or visit the KU International Affairs website.

Can I work while in the program?

Yes, we encourage students to try to obtain employment in the HIM field. Because of a heavy course load, we advise students only work part-time, around 20 hours a week.

Can HIM courses be taken as a non-degree-seeking student?

It is not common, but in special cases it may be possible for a student to take an HIM course but not enter the degree program. The instructor of the specific course makes a decision on a case-by-case basis.

Is there any housing available on-campus?

There is no student housing on the KU Medical Center campus. Most students live in apartments in surrounding neighborhoods. You are responsible for arranging your own housing. Find housing ads posted on this website.

What are the available student services?

Students at KU Medical Center have access to an array of services and resources, including Counseling and Educational Support Services, Kirmayer Fitness Center, Student Life and other departments within Academic and Student Affairs. The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion also hosts educational events and opportunities to gather with others in the community.

I need parking or driving directions for my visit.

KU Medical Center is centrally located in the greater Kansas City metro area and easily accessible from I-35 and I-70. The campus resides at 39th Street and Rainbow Boulevard: driving directions.

Our department's offices and classrooms are located in Taylor Building. Whichever garage you park in, please be sure to bring in your parking ticket so it may be validated.

Is financial aid available?
Yes. Please check the financial aid page of the program of interest for details specific to those students. In addition, please visit the school's scholarships page.

KU School of Health Professions

University of Kansas Medical Center
Health Information Management
3901 Rainbow Boulevard
Mailstop 2008
Kansas City, KS 66160
913-588-2423 • 711 TTY