How to Apply
- March 15 for fall semester start
- October 15 for spring semester start
- No admission is available for summer semester
- Decide which of the participating institutions will be the student's "home" institution. This university will grant a master's degree in dietetics and nutrition from the University of Kansas upon completion of the program.
- Contact Kendra Spaeth, KU Medical Center coordinator for Great Plains IDEA at email@example.com to notify KU of the student's plans for applying.
- Submit applications online and include all required materials for consideration in the program. Admission to this program is not guaranteed. All applications will be reviewed based on prior academic work, previous and current professional and volunteer experience, personal goals statement and references.
Before You Apply Online
Have the following information ready before starting the online application:
- Read the nonacademic technical standards. Accepted applicants will be asked to indicate if the technical standards can be met with or without accommodation.
- Proof of registered dietitian credential or eligibility: Copy your current CDR registration (if registered RD) or a signed verification statement from the director of the supervised practice program (if not registered). This will be uploaded with the online application.
- Personal goals statement: Explain your interest in this program at KU Medical Center. Include a summary of your academic and/or professional experience, professional goals, and how completion of the degree is expected to enhance the student's professional practice and/or long-term goals. Discuss the area(s) of interest for graduate studies and if the thesis or non-thesis option will be pursued. Copy-and-paste as plain text into the designated field in the online application.
- Resume: Prepare an updated resume and upload it where indicated in the online application.
- References: Applicants will enter the names and contact information (including email addresses) of three (3) individuals into the online application. The system will then prompt each person to submit the recommendation form and accompanying letter online.
A reference should be a faculty member, advisor, preceptor, employer or other person familiar with the applicant's work and character and can attest to the applicant's academic ability or professional competence as a dietitian. The recommendations may not be obtained from family members, friends, etc. Make sure each reference is willing to submit a recommendation electronically.
- Transcripts: Arrange to have one official copy of each transcript from every college and university that you have attended sent directly to KU Medical Center. If the institution provides electronic transcripts, please have them sent to DNtranscripts@kumc.edu. Hardcopy transcripts can be mailed to the following address:
Attn: GPIDEA Admissions
KU Dept. of Dietetics and Nutrition
Mail Stop 4013
3901 Rainbow Blvd
Kansas City, KS 66160
- English Language Proficiency: All applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency through either the TOEFL or IELTS testing systems. The test must have been taken within two (2) years of the first semester of enrollment. Results must be provided directly to KUMC by the testing service using ETS school code 6895. Photocopies of scores will not be accepted (see guidelines for TOEFL).
Follow this link to submit your completed application and pay the application fee.
The application fee is paid when you click SUBMIT from the online application. Applicants can pay by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or by electronic check. U.S. banks only. Application fees are non-refundable. Electronic checks will be held for approximately six business days while the check clears.
KU Office of Graduate Studies sends applicants a letter stating the conditions of admission and admission status.
For eligibility and admissions questions, contact Kendra Spaeth, GPIDEA campus coordinator and course advisor, at 913-588-8992 or firstname.lastname@example.org