How to Apply
Ready to apply? You'll find here the requirements for admission to KU's dietetic internship graduate certificate program.
The program starts fall semester in August. Students complete a total of two semesters, graduating in May. The application window each year is Dec. 1-Feb. 15.
Steps to Apply
We encourage you to review requirements and gather references and other information before you begin the application process.
- Your first step will be to complete an online application via the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application Service (DICAS).
- Next, you will complete the computer match process via D&D Digital and indicate KU dietetic internship graduate certificate program as one of the desired institutions for enrollment by 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time on February 15.
- Third, you must submit a supplementary application to KU via the KU Medical Center online application portal by March 15.
A pre-select opportunity for qualified K-State students may allow for early application and review. Please contact the program director, Jeannine Goetz, Ph.D., for details.
- Read the nonacademic technical standards carefully. If matched to KU's dietetic internship graduate certificate program, applicants will be asked to indicate if the standards can be met with or without accommodation.
- Have available the names and contact information of three references, including email addresses. Recommendation letters may be from faculty, advisors, employers or others who are familiar with your work and character. Make sure references are willing to submit the reference for you online to DICAS.
- A verification statement or declaration of intent form is required. This form is completed by your didactic program director and must have an original or digital signature. Please confirm this with your program director, as they will upload this document directly to DICAS. If matched, the original verification statement document must be submitted to KU.
- If English is a second language for you, applicants must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and arrange for scores to be sent directly to the KU Department of Dietetics and Nutrition. A satisfactory score on the TOEFL must have been obtained within the previous two (2) years (see guidelines for TOEFL). Students from outside the U.S. and those who are not U.S. citizens can find more information at the KU Medical Center's Office of International Programs.
Questions? This is also a good time to contact the department office to speak with an academic adviser who will help guide you through the admission process.
The program uses the online Dietetic Internship Centralized Application Service (DICAS). Applications may be submitted starting December 1 and can be entered at dicas.liaisoncas.com. A DICAS application fee must be paid by the applicant.
Questions about DICAS?
Online training materials and a phone number are available for students with questions about accessing and using the centralized application service, DICAS. See EatRightPro.org for details.
The online application must be completed by 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time on February 15.
When completing the application, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an email address) for each reference. This triggers an email message requesting the completion of an online form by each of the individuals provided as a reference.
Applicants who apply to dietetic internships using DICAS will be asked to complete a personal statement of no more than 1,000 words. Questions to be addressed in the personal statement include the following:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics and nutrition profession?
- Discuss experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career.
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses, or areas needing improvement?
Students must request transcripts of all college coursework be sent from past academic institutions and have them forwarded directly to DICAS. Please send official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to the following address:
PO Box 9118
Watertown, MA 02472
Transcripts need to verify a bachelor's degree (with the date received) and all prerequisite coursework has been completed. Applications must also show conferral of graduate degree or documentation that they will have completed the graduate degree before starting KU's dietetic internship program. A second set of official transcripts will need to be provided to KU closer to the start of the program to verify all requirements have been met.
Applicants must also complete the computer match process and indicate the University of Kansas as one of the desired institutions for enrollment by 11:59 p.m. Central Standard Time on February 15. For information on the process and computer match forms, contact your didactic program director or D&D Digital Systems at dnddigital.com.
Learn more about the match process for dietetic internships at EatRightPro.org.
Additional information on the computer matching policy and procedures, calendar and deadlines can be found at dnddigital.com.
Once DICAS materials have been received and verified, students will receive an email from the program director to begin the final steps of the application process. This KU supplemental application will be submitted through KU's online application platform.
The deadline to provide supplemental documents and the KU application fee is March 15.
Applications are not reviewed until the KU supplemental application fee and all of the requested information is received by the University of Kansas.
Inquiries or updates: Please call the department at 913-588-5355 (711 TTY) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries about the application process or to check the status of a submitted application.
Notification: In April, D&D Digital notifies all internship applicants of their match status. Matched applicants must contact the program director by phone, email or fax within 24 hours of receiving the notice to indicate whether they will accept the dietetic internship position at the University of Kansas.
Acceptance: The program director sends accepted applicants a letter verifying acceptance of the dietetic internship position at KU and additional information needed for admission. KU's Office of Graduate Studies will later notify applicants of the conditions of admission and admission status.
DICAS Phase II Process
To be eligible for the DICAS Phase II application process, an applicant must have received a “No Match” response during the initial computer match process.
Students should check the D&D Digital website to confirm whether KU’s dietetic internship program remains open for applications. If positions are still available and a match was not received on appointment day, the following procedures will be followed to fill open positions:
- Tuesday, April 4, 2023 beginning at 6 a.m. CDT
Applicants who were on the D&D Digital prioritized list for KU’s dietetic internship program but did not receive a match may be contacted about open positions remaining. Appointments must be confirmed by Tuesday, April 4, 2023, by 8 p.m. CDT.
- Wednesday, April 5, 2023 at 11 a.m. CDT
If open positions are still available for KU's dietetic internship program, non-matched applicants interested in participating in the DICAS Phase II match may update and submit their applications via DICAS by selecting "University of Kansas Medical Center Dietetic Internship Program."
- Check the program's eligibility and requirements to ensure the minimum admission criteria are met.
- Release DICAS materials to "University of Kansas Medical Center Dietetic Internship Program."
- Once a complete application is received in DICAS, applicants will receive an email prompting them to complete the KU supplemental application via the KU online application platform and to pay the application fee.
- An online interview may be requested.
- The program will begin screening DICAS Phase II applications on Wednesday, April 5, 2023, starting at 11 a.m. CDT. Applicants will be contacted via email or telephone should additional information be needed. Invitations to join KU's program will be offered starting on Wednesday, April 5, 2023, and the review of applications will continue until all positions in the next class are filled.
- Once all spots in the next class are filled, the program will notify the remaining applicants to let them know the class has been filled.