Learn about the prerequisites for KU's bachelor's degree in clinical laboratory science.
A minimum of 56 hours of preparatory college coursework is needed before students enter the program at KU Medical Center to complete two years of professional coursework in clinical laboratory science.
The clinical laboratory science program requires the following courses be completed prior to beginning the program. These courses may be completed at KU or other institutions. Courses transferred from other institutions must be equivalent to the KU courses identified below.
- BIOL 150 Molecular & Cellular Biology (3 credit hours)
- BIOL 246 Human Physiology (3)
or 544 Comparative Animal Physiology
or 546 Mammalian Physiology
or BSCI 546 Mammalian Physiology
- BIOL 350 Principles of Genetics (4)
or BSCI 350 Genetics
- BIOL 400 Fundamentals of Microbiology and BIOL 401 lab (5)
or BSCI 400 Microbiology and BSCI 401 lab
- CHEM 130 General Chemistry I (5)
- CHEM 135 General Chemistry II (5)
- CHEM 330 Organic Chemistry I and CHEM 331 lab (5)
- MATH 365 or PSYC 210 or BIOL 570 Statistics (3)
Although not required, BIOL 210/CLS 210 Introduction to Clinical Laboratory Sciences is highly recommended to ensure that applicants are fully aware of the type of work performed by medical laboratory scientists. This course also satisfies the application requirement for a shadowing experience.
KU Core Requirements
Students who don't already have a bachelor's degree need to fulfill the KU Core requirements indicated below. Equivalent courses can be transferred from other institutions.
- Goal 1.2 MATH 101 (3 credit hours) or ACT exemption.
- Goal 2.1 ENGL 101 (or ACT exemption) and ENGL 102 (6 hours).
- Goal 2.2 (3) course of your choice.
- Goal 3H (3) course of your choice.
- Goal 3S (3) course of your choice.
- Goal 4.1 (3) course of your choice.
- Goal 4.2 (3) course of your choice.
- Goals GE 1.1, AE 5.1, AE 5.2, AE 6.1 and AE 6.2 will be completed by upper-division coursework in the degree program.
Additional courses that can be taken pre- or post-admission:
- BIOL 600 Introductory Biochemistry (3)
or BSCI 600 Biochemistry
- BIOL 503 Immunology (3)
or BSCI 503 Immunology
Students who have taken college credits outside of KU can see how their courses will transfer to KU by visiting the CredTran page. Applicants must provide an official transcript from each school attended as part of the application.
Note: All prerequisite coursework grades should be "C" or higher. The following courses also require a letter grade will not be accepted if scored as “credit/no credit" or “satisfactory/ unsatisfactory” or as “pass/fail:”
- All biology and chemistry courses
- All math courses
- English I and II courses
- Communication/public speaking course
In addition to prerequisite courses, applicants should review the program eligibility requirements.