Skip to main content.

Information for International Applicants

If you're applying to KU School of Health Professions from outside the United States, here's what you need to know.

Are you an international student who is considering a program in the School of Health Professions? You should first confirm that you meet the standard eligibility requirements for your desired program. Then follow these steps:

  1. Determine if you will be considered an international student.
    • You are considered an international student if you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
    • You are classified as an international applicant even if you have another degree from a U.S. college or university.
    • If you are or have been enrolled in courses at another KU campus as an international student, you are still considered an international student when applying to KU School of Health Professions programs.
  1. Check your academic eligibility requirements.
    Programs in the School of Health Professions do not accept students before their junior year of undergraduate study. At the time of application, you must have successfully completed certain classes (prerequisites) to be considered for the program.

    International students without the necessary prerequisites may need to contact the Lawrence campus KU Office of International Student Services for assistance.
  1. Check your immigration requirements.
    Before you begin your studies, visit the KU Medical Center Office of International Programs. It is very important to visit this office as soon as you can. Bring with you these items:
    • Passport
    • Visa (If applicable. Common types include F-1 and J-1 visas.)
    • Form I-94
    • Your residential address and phone number. (This is a requirement of Citizenship and Immigration Services and cannot be a work address, work telephone number or P.O. box.)
    • For F-1 or F-2 visa holders, Form I-20, titled "Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status – For Academic and Language Students."
    • For J-1 and J-2 visa holders, Form DS-2019, titled "Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status" AND proof of insurance as mandated by the U.S. State Department for yourself and all dependents present in the U.S., effective from the start date of the program until the end date, or for one year, whichever is shorter.
    • Other visa holders may be asked to submit additional documents.
  1. Provide proof that you are proficient in English.
    Since all students are expected to have a good command of the English language, international students whose native language is not English must prove proficiency through one of the testing platforms accepted by the University of Kansas.

    About the tests:
    • Must be taken within two years of attending your first class at KU Medical Center.
    • May be required even if English is the primary or very common language of your home country.
    • May still be required even if you have a degree from an institution outside the U.S. where the language of instruction was English.
    • Minimum accepted test scores (as well as other English language requirements) are available from the KU Medical Center Office of International Programs.
    • Test scores must be sent directly from the testing service or administering site. Use school code 6895 when asking that results be sent to KU Medical Center. Only original results (no photocopies) will be accepted.
    • Although the Internet-based TOEFL includes a speaking component, a minimum score on the speaking section is not required for many School of Health Professions programs.
    • Additional scores and requirements exist for students employed at KU, including graduate teaching and research assistants.

    If you are pursuing a master's degree in speech-language pathology, a doctorate in audiology, or a doctorate in speech-language pathology as an international student, the KU Applied English Center must evaluate your English proficiency, regardless of your country of origin.

  1. Find out if you will need a foreign education credentials evaluation to one day work in your field.
    The School of Health Professions has certain academic requirements to gain entrance to a specific academic program, but these requirements may or may not be the same for future employment in your chosen field. If you want to ensure employment after you receive your degree, a Foreign Education Credentials Evaluation could help. Contact the academic program where you plan to apply. Staff in that department can help set up this evaluation.

  2. Complete the evaluation of transcripts requirement for the University of Kansas.
    You should request the official evaluation be sent directly to KU Medical Center. An official evaluation (no photocopies) from one of these services is required. It should include the following:
    • Course-by-course evaluation
    • Grade evaluation
    • Degree earned (bachelor's, master's, doctorate, etc.)

    Transcripts and grades earned outside the U.S. must be evaluated, even if classes were taught in English and the transcript is written in English. For example, transcripts from India and other recent British colonies must be evaluated. Learn more about transcript requirements and where to obtain an acceptable evaluation from the Office of International Programs.

  1. If you still have questions, contact the Office of International Programs at the University of Kansas Medical Center.

    Experts there can help you see if you meet the criteria for studying in the United States in general and at KU Medical Center in particular. They also can offer guidance on necessary applications and forms needed to study or work in the U.S.
Frequently Asked Questions

KU cannot provide any type of admission to students until an application (and application fee) has been submitted and reviewed by the academic program.

Yes. Like domestic applicants, many international students begin their studies in the KU Lawrence Campus College of Liberal Arts and Sciences as pre-health professions "majors" and later continue their advanced study at KU Medical Center. You must submit new documentation when applying to programs on the KU Medical Center campus.

KU School of Health Professions

KU School of Health Professions
KU Medical Center
3901 Rainbow Blvd
Mailstop 2007
Kansas City, KS 66160
913-588-5235 • 711 TTY