Shrikant Anant, PhD
Dr. Anant earned a B.Sc. in zoology and a M.Sc. in medical microbiology from the University of Madras in India, a M.Sc. in microbiology from Michigan State University, and a PhD in molecular genetics from the University of Illinois at Chicago. Dr. Anant joined The University of Kansas Cancer Center in 2010 after serving as associate professor and director of gastroenterology research at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center in Oklahoma City. He led a team of researchers who discovered a new gene, RBM3, which can cause normal cells to turn into cancer cells; also, stopping RBM3's expression in cancer cells causes the cancer cells to die. Earlier, while serving as assistant professor at Washington University School of Medicine, he discovered the first tumor-suppressing RNA-binding protein. Subsequently, he discovered the rare, quiescent cancer stem cells in colon and pancreatic cancers. Dr. Anant was a key figure in the discovery and development of Ciclopirox Prodrug, KU Cancer Center's first anticancer drug to go from bench to bedside. He was also the recipient of the 2017 KU Chancellors Club Research Award.
Education and Training
- BS, University of Madras
- MS, University of Madras
- MS, Michigan State Univ.
- PhD, Univ. of Illinois-Chicago
- American College of Nutrition, Fellow, 2014 - Present
- American Society of Preventive Oncology, Member, 2013 - 2017
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Member, 2012 - Present
- American Physiological Society, Member, 2010 - Present
- Gastroenterology Research Group, Member, 2006 - 2010
- American Association of Cancer Research, Member, 2000 - Present
Research in the laboratory is focused on various aspects of cancer biology at the molecular level. Specific research areas include (a) Regulation of gene expression at the levels of mRNA stability and translation, (b) Cancer Stem Cells, and (c) mechanism(s) of chemoprevention by dietary factors and its novel derivatives.
- Gold, M, Köhler, L, Lanzloth, C, Andronache, I, Anant, S, Dandawate, P, Biersack, B, Schobert, R. 2020. Synthesis and bioevaluation of new vascular-targeting and anti-angiogenic thieno[2,3-d]pyrimidin-4(3H)-ones.. European journal of medicinal chemistry, 189, 112060
- Ahmed, I, Roy, B., C, Rao Jakulla LUM, Subramaniam, D, Dandawate, P, Anant, S, Sampath, V, Umar, S. 2019. Infection-induced signals generated at the plasma membrane epigenetically regulate Wnt signaling in vitro and in vivo.. The Journal of biological chemistry
- Dandawate, P, Ghosh, C, Palaniyandi, K, Paul, S, Rawal, S, Pradhan, R, Sayed AAA, Choudhury, S, Standing, D, Subramaniam, D, Padhye, S., B, Gunewardena, S, Thomas, S., M, Neil, M., O, Tawfik, O, Welch, D., R, Jensen, R., A, Maliski, S, Weir, S, Iwakuma, T, Anant, S, Dhar, A. 2019. The Histone Demethylase KDM3A, Increased in Human Pancreatic Tumors, Regulates Expression of DCLK1 and Promotes Tumorigenesis in Mice.. Gastroenterology, 157 (6), 1646-1659.e11
- Saeed, Anwaar, Koestler, Devin, Williamson, Stephen., K., Baranda, Joaquina., Celebre, Sun, Weijing, Al-Rajabi, Raed Moh'd Taiseer, Kasi, Anup, Al-Kasspooles, Mazin., Francis, Subramaniam, Dharmalingam, Anant, Shrikant. 2019. A phase Ib trial of cabozantinib in combination with durvalumab (MEDI4736) in previously treated patients with advanced gastroesophageal cancer and other gastrointestinal (GI) malignancies (CAMILLA).. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ONCOLOGY, 37 (8)
- Ahmed, Ishfaq, Roy, Badal., C., Raach, Rita -Marie T., Manley, Sharon., J., Srinivasan, Pugazhendhi, Dandawate, Prasad, Sayed, Afreen, Welch, Danny., R., Anant, Shrikant, Sampath, Venkatesh, Umar, Shahid. 2019. Dietary interventions ameliorate infectious colitis through differential regulation of Lgr5. CANCER RESEARCH, 79 (13)
- Ahmed, Ishfaq, Roy, Badal, Raach, Rita-Marie., T., Manley, Sharon., J., Srinivasan, Pugazhendhi, Dandawate, Prasad, Sayed, Afreen Asif Ali, Welch, Danny., R., Anant, Shrikant, Sampath, Venkatesh, Umar, Shahid. 2019. DIETARY INTERVENTIONS AMELIORATE INFECTIOUS COLITIS THROUGH DIFFERENTIAL REGULATION OF LGR5. GASTROENTEROLOGY, 156 (6), S51-S51
- Bean, Ren, Santra, Santimukul, Banerjee, Tuhina, Hadorn, Laci, Naz, Shuguftha, Anant, Shrikant, Austin, Quentin. 2019. Drug cocktail-carrying Nanomedicine for the treatment of Cancer. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 257
- Ghosh, Chandrayee, Palaniyandi, Kankaraj, Paul, Santanu, Dandawate, Prasad, Rawal, Sonia, Subramaniam, Dharmalingam, Padhye, Subhash, Gunewardena, Sumedha, Thomas, Sufi, O'Neil, Maura, Jensen, Roy, Welch, Danny, Milisky, Sally, Weir, Scott, Iwakuma, Tomoo, Anant, Shrikant, Dhar, Animesh. 2019. KDM3A and DCLK1 interactions promote stemness and tumorigenesis in PDAC. CANCER RESEARCH, 79 (13)
- Weir, Scott., James, Wood, Robyn, Baltezor, Michael., Jay, Reed, Greg, Brinker, Amanda., E., Ham, Tammy, Schorno, Karl, Toren, Paul, Ramamoorthy, Prabhu, Zhukova-Harrill, Valentina, Dalton, Michael, McCulloch, William, Patel, Manish., R., Ulahannan, Susanna., Varkey, Burris, Howard., A., Falchook, Gerald., Steven, Jensen, Roy., A., Anant, Shrikant, Taylor, John., Arthur. 2019. Pharmacokinetics of ciclopirox prodrug, a novel agent for the treatment of bladder cancer, in animals and humans. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ONCOLOGY, 37 (15)
- Didde, Ryan, Liu, Weiya, Pirani, Karim, Kaushik, Gaurav, Woolbright, Benjamin., L., Abbott, Erika, Taylor, John., Arthur, Anant, Shrikant, Holzbeierlein, Jeffrey., M., Lee, Eugene., K.. 2019. The role of phosphoglycerate mutase 2 in UM-UC3 bladder cancer cell metabolism.. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ONCOLOGY, 37 (7)