Shi Wei, M.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Wei is Professor with Tenure and the Barbara F. Atkinson Endowed Professor, Director of Translational Research at the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center. Dr. Wei obtained his medical degree from China Medical University and received his Ph.D. from Okayama University in Japan. He completed a post-doctoral fellowship at Washington University in St. Louis, followed by residency in anatomic and clinical pathology and a surgical pathology fellowship at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). He obtained additional clinical subspecialty training at Emory, Mt. Sinai and Harvard Universities. Dr. Wei joined the faculty at UAB in 2009 and quickly rose to the rank of tenured professor in 2016. He served the Section Head of Surgical Pathology from 2015 and Associate Division Director of Anatomic Pathology at UAB from 2019 prior to coming to KUMC in December 2021. He was a Senior Scientist at UAB O’Neal Comprehensive Cancer Center, Experimental Therapeutics Program.
Dr. Wei is actively engaged in the diagnostic surgical pathology service and has special clinical interests in breast and bone/soft tissue pathology. Over the course of his career, Dr. Wei has rapidly developed into a leading expert in his fields and become an internationally recognized successful academic physician. His major research interests include discovery and evaluation of biomarkers in breast cancer and other malignancies, evaluation of prognostic factors in breast cancer and malignant bone tumors, and tumor bone metastasis. Dr. Wei has published over 300 professional writings in these fields, including more than 160 manuscripts in some of the leading peer-reviewed journals such as JAMA, Journal of Clinical Investigation, and Modern Pathology. He has edited 3 textbooks and contributed 8 monographs in the fields of breast pathology and bone/soft tissue pathology, recognizing his expertise in these areas. Dr. Wei is the Editor-in-Chief of Human Pathology Reports and editorial board member of several key pathology journals.
Education and Training
- MD, Medical Degree, China Medical University, Shenyang, China
- PhD, Ph.D., Okayama University School of Medicine , Okayama, Japan
- Residency, Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama
- Clinical Fellowship, Surgical Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama
- International Skeletal Society, Member, 2020 - Present
- International Society of Breast Pathology, Member, 2016 - Present
- Association of Directors of Anatomic and Surgical Pathology, Member, 2015 - Present
- International Society of Bone and Soft Tissue Pathology, Member, 2013 - Present
- American Society for Clinical Pathology, Fellow, 2005 - Present
- College of American Pathologists, Fellow, 2005 - Present
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, Member, 2005 - Present
Dr. Wei's major research interests include discovery and evaluation of biomarkers in breast cancer and other malignancies, evaluation of prognostic factors in breast cancer and malignant bone tumors, and tumor bone metastasis.
- Kurundkar, A., R, Britt, J., P, Siegal, G., P, Wei, S. 2018. Comparison of AJCC Anatomic and Prognostic Stage Groups in Breast Cancer: Analysis of 3126 Cases from a Single Institution
- Mruthyunjayappa, Smitha, Zhang, Kui, Zhang, Lanjing, Siegal, Gene., P, Wei, Shi. 2019. Bilateral Breast Cancer, Synchronous and Metachronous: Clinicopathologic Characteristics and Prognostic Outcomes
- Wang, Kai, Hackney, James, Siegal, Gene, Wei, Shi. 2020. The Rank Pathway in Breast Cancer Metastatic to the Brain
- Chen, R, Qarmali, M, Siegal, G., P, Wei, S. 2020. Receptor Conversion in Metastatic Breast Cancer: Analysis of 390 Cases from a Single Institution.. Modern Pathology, 33 (12), 2499-2506
- Aldrees, R, Gao, X, Zhang, K, Siegal, G., P, Wei, S. 2021. Validation of the Revised 8th AJCC Breast Cancer Clinical Prognostic Staging: Analysis of 5321 Cases from a Single Institution.. Modern Pathology, 24 (2), 291-299
- Wei, S, Siegal, G., P. 2021. Small Round Cell Tumors of Soft Tissue and Bone. Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine
- Fei, F, Siegal, G., P, Wei, S. 2021. Characterization of estrogen receptor-low-positive breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research & Treatment
- Memon, R, Prieto Granada, C., N, Harada, S, Winokur, T, Reddy, V, Kahn, A., G, Siegal, G., P, Wei, S. 2021. Discordance Between Immunohistochemistry and In Situ Hybridization to Detect HER2 Overexpression/Gene Amplification in Breast Cancer in the Modern Age: A Single Institution Experience and Pooled Literature Review Study. Clinical Breast Cancer
- Fei, F, Zhang, K, Siegal, G., P, Wei, S. 2021. A simplified breast cancer prognostic score: comparison with the AJCC clinical prognostic staging system. Modern Pathology, 34 (12), 2141-2147
- Wei, S. 2022. Update on selective special types of breast neoplasms: Focusing on controversies, differential diagnosis, and molecular genetic advances. Seminars in Diagnostic Pathology