Access to potential study participants is essential for any study involving human participants. We have identified some potential KUMC sources for study participants, offered guidance on recruitment, and posted related forms below.
Frontiers Clinical and Translational Science Institute
The mission of Frontiers is to be "an academic home for clinical and translational research, providing support to scientists and involving the community, so that discoveries and research findings will be brought more rapidly to the point of care, thus improving the health of all in the region." Frontiers provides research support services through all phases of a study. In the area of recruitment, Frontiers can assist you in both identifying the potential study participant pool (necessary for any grant proposal) and for accessing people who may be willing to participate in your study.
- The Pioneers Research Registry provides KUMC-affiliated researchers with access to contact The University of Kansas Health System patients who have enrolled in the registry and appear to meet study criteria according to EHR and medical history information. There are currently over 60,000 patients who have agreed to be contacted for approved research studies. Contact the KUMC Medical Informatics team to gain access to the Pioneers Registry data using HERON (Healthcare Enterprise Repository for Ontological Narration). For questions about the Pioneers Research Registry, contact Cherayla Haynes.
- Frontier Participant Registry (currently limited to KUMC investigators) - Access a registry of KUMC patients who have agreed to be contacted for research studies. Use HERON (Healthcare Enterprise Repository for Ontological Narration) to query de-identified KUMC medical records for patient data. Combined with the Frontiers Registry, HERON can connect investigators with volunteers (after meeting regulatory requirements).
Guidance on Recruitment
- FDA Information Sheet on Recruiting Study Subjects
- Guidelines for Recruitment Materials and Advertisements Jan 2018
- Please see SOP 8.0: Selection and Recruitment of Subjects on the Policies and Regulations page.