PKD Summer Research Internships
University of Kansas Polycystic Kidney Disease Center Summer Research Internship Program.
Applications Due: February 29, 2024
The University of Kansas PKD Center in the Jared Grantham Kidney Institute is accepting applications for a limited number of summer research internships for undergraduate and graduate students who are interested in working on a mentored research project related to polycystic kidney disease. Summer students are expected to have the availability to work full-time on their research project for a 10-week period between the months of May through August. At the end of their project, students will be expected to give a 20-minute seminar presentation on their results to PKD Center faculty and research staff. Summer students will be compensated hourly for their hours worked up to a maximum stipend amount noted below. Your stipend level is based on your academic rank at the time of your application. For example, you are considered a Freshman if you just completed your first year of college by May prior to starting the internship.
- College Freshman and Sophomores - $2,900
- Juniors and Seniors - $3,600
- Graduate Student/Predoctoral Medical Students - $4,800
- High School Students, 16 and older: volunteer basis only, no stipend
The summer student training program is supported by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, which is part of the National Institutes of Health, through grant U54DK126126.
How to Apply
To apply, or for more information about faculty research areas, send the following materials to Lyn Harris by February 29, 2024:
- Your CV or resume
- 1-page summary of why you are interested in PKD research and what your future plans are
- Indicate when you would like to start and end your 10-week project
- Confirm that you are available to pursue the project full time (8am-5pm Monday-Friday) during that period
- Graduate Students: include 1 letter of reference from a faculty mentor
All applicants will be notified regarding their status by March 22, 2024. Selected applicants must complete and return acceptance paperwork by April 2 to reserve their internship.