Campus Security Authorities
What is a Campus Security Authorities (CSA)?
CSAs provide crime statistics for the annual security report (ASR). Under Clery, a crime is "reported" when it is brought to the attention of a CSA by a victim, witness, or third party, including the offender. Alleged crimes reported to CSAs are then reported by them to the designated individual or office required to collect such reports. The office designated at KU Medical Center is the Department of Public Safety/University Police. CSAs can file the required notice by documenting and submitting it on the CSA Report Form. If you need assistance in classifying the crime after completing the form, please contact the Clery Compliance personnel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Duties of a CSA
CSAs are responsible for reporting all allegations of crimes specified in the Clery Act that are reported to them, to the KUMC Police Department. If the CSA receives crime information and believes it was provided in good faith (reasonable basis for believing the information), he or she should document it as a crime report and submit the report online. The CSA is not responsible for determining authoritatively whether the crime took place, CSAs are also not responsible for attempting to apprehend an alleged perpetrator of a crime (unless trained to do so).CSAs should refrain from attempting to convince a victim to contact law enforcement if the victim chooses not to do so. However, they may note that crimes can be reported to the police anonymously.
Timely submission of reports by CSAs is very important. If a crime is reported to a CSA, but goes no farther than that, KU Medical Center will be unable to fully meet its obligations under the law. Moreover, the campus community may lack information that could help them to stay safe. CSAs must know their role and be trained in understanding the Clery Act, why they have been designated as a CSA, and what is required of them as CSAs. This training should occur at least annually or as often as necessary. The campus must also ensure that CSAs are evaluated each year to ensure new personnel are added as needed. The Clery Compliance personnel are responsible for maintaining the most current list of University of Kansas Medical Center Campus Security Authorities (CSA). For questions about this list, or CSAs in general, contact the Clery Compliance personnel at email@example.com. Complete a CSA Incident Report Form.
Note: Crimes in progress should be reported immediately to the University Police by dialing 911 from any campus phone or 913-588-5030 from cell phones.
Who is a CSA?
If you meet any of the definitions outlined below or have received notification from the Chief of Police and / or your supervisor, you are a CSA, as that term has been defined by the United States Department of Education:
- University Police and Security - All security and police members of the University Department of Public Safety, including all sworn law enforcement officers, are Campus Security Authorities.
- Individuals with Campus Security Responsibilities - Any individuals who have responsibility for campus security but who do not constitute a campus police department or a campus security department, such as an individual who is responsible for monitoring entrance into institutional property. Examples of this category are: parking enforcement staff, event security staff and front desk staff to buildings that monitor entrance.
- Individuals Designated by the Campus - Any individual or organization specified in an institution's statement of campus security policy as one to which students and employees should report criminal offenses.
- Officials with Significant Responsibility for Student and Campus Activities - An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline and student conduct proceedings. Examples of this category are: Deans of Students, Student Housing Officials, Students Conduct Officials, Officials who oversee a student center, Officials who oversee student extracurricular activities, Director of Athletics, Team Coaches, and Faculty Advisors to student groups.
- CSA's identified at KU Medical Center - The list of CSAs on KU Medical Center campuses is here; for questions about this list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.