Onalisa D. Winblad, M.D.
Dr. Onalisa Winblad is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Radiology at the University of Kansas Health System, where she currently serves as the Division Director of Breast Imaging. Dr. Winblad also serves as a member of the Breast Executive Committee at the University of Kansas Cancer Center.
Her medical training began at the University of Kansas School of Medicine, which she completed in 2008. Dr. Winblad stayed in Kansas City and completed a 5 year Radiology residency program at the University of Kansas Health System in 2013. In 2014, Dr. Winblad completed a Breast Imaging fellowship at Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Winblad is a dedicated breast radiologist and her expertise include screening mammography, diagnostic mammography, breast ultrasound, breast MRI, digital tomosynthesis (3-D mammography), and image guided procedures including breast biopsies, aspirations, and pre-operative localization procedures.
Dr. Winblad is passionate about improving access to high quality breast care, including access to annual screening mammography and supplemental breast screening exams for women who have a high lifetime risk for breast cancer and women who have dense breast tissue. She was intimately involved in the development of multidisciplinary coordinated appointments for new cancer patients and those seeking a second opinion with a team of breast specialists. Dr. Winblad believes that early detection through proper screening is key and that high quality, compassionate, multidisciplinary breast care should be available to everyone.
Education and Training
- MD, MD, University of Kansas Medical Center
- BS, Chemistry, Rockhurst University, Kansas City, MO
- Clinical Fellowship, Breast Radiology, Washington University, Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology at Siteman Cancer Center, St. Louis, MO
- Residency, Diagnostic Radiology, The University of Kansas Hospital, Kansas City, KS
- Internship, Internal Medicine, The University of Kansas Hospital, Kansas City, KS
Licensure, Accreditations & Certifications
- American Board of Radiology Certification, American Board of Radiology
- Kansas Medical License, Kansas State Board of Healing Arts
- Missouri Medical License, Missouri Division of Professional Registration
- Society of Breast Imaging, Member, 2013 - Present
- American College of Radiology, Member, 2009 - Present
- Williams, Kristin., E., Amin, Amanda, Hill, Jacqueline, Walter, Carissa, Inciardi, Marc, Gatewood, Jason, Redick, Mark, Wick, Jo, Hunt, Suzanne, Winblad, Onalisa. 2019. Radiologic and Pathologic Features Associated With Upgrade of Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia at Surgical Excision. Academic Radiology, 26 (7), 893-899
- Amin, Amanda, Sack, Stephen, Larson, Kelsey , Winblad, Onalisa, Balanoff, Christa, Nazir, Niaman, Wagner, Jamie. 2020. Does the Addition of Breast MRI Add Value to the Diagnostic Work Up of Invasive Lobular Carcinoma?. Journal of Surgical Research, 26 (9), 1917-1919. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/tbj.13826 |
- Aripoli, Allison, Fountain, Kelly, Winblad, Onalisa, Gatewood, Jason, Hill, Jacqueline, Wick, Jo., A, Inciardi, Marc. 2018. Supplemental Screening with Automated Breast Ultrasound in Women with Dense Breasts: Comparing Notification Methods and Screening Behaviors. American Journal of Roentgenology, 201 (1), 22-28
- Larson, Kelsey, Rios, Samantha, Amin, Amanda, Balanoff, Christa, Wagner, Jamie, Winblad, Onalisa. 2020. Breast Incidental Findings on Abdominal and Chest MRI. The Breast Journal, 257, 144-152
- Fabian, Carol., J, Nye, Lauren, Powers, Kandy., R, Nydegger, Jennifer., L, Kreutzjans, Amy., L, Phillips, Teresa., A, Metheny, Trina, Winblad, Onalisa, Zalles, Carola., M, Hagan, Christy., R, Goodman, Merit., L, Gajewski, Byron., J, Koestler, Devin., C, Chalise, Prabhakar, Kimler, Bruce., F. 2019. Effect of Bazedoxifene and Conjugated Estrogen (Duavee) on Breast Cancer Risk Biomarkers in High-Risk Women: A Pilot Study.. Cancer Prevention Research, 12 (10), 711-720