- Application requests must be received a minimum of twelve months prior to the requested elective start date. Spaces are filled quickly and well in advance. If you are accepted for an elective, you can come to KUMC on a B-1 or F-1 visa. KUMC will issue an I-20 document; however, the student is responsible for submitting Form I-901 and paying the SEVIS fee.
- Each clinical elective module is four weeks. Students are required to stay for the complete module. When a student has been accepted into a clinical elective, that elective may not be changed. Registration into an elective implies that the student will be available for the entire module or rotation. Changes to a rotation may leave a department short-staffed.
- International students are limited to no more than two modules. This policy is strictly adhered to by our School of Medicine. Pay close attention to module start and end dates as all electives begin on a Monday. Be sure to indicate the first choice, as well as three alternative elective choices on your application.
- You must have completed the following clinical training requirements:
o Internal Medicine (8 weeks)
o Surgery (8weeks)
o Family Medicine (8 weeks)
o Pediatrics (6 weeks)
o Obstetrics/Gynecology (6 weeks)
o Psychiatry (4 weeks)
o Neurology (4 weeks)
o Geriatrics (4 weeks)
- In order to ensure that all inbound international students are available for clinics in a timely manner, KUMC requires that students stay at the International Accommodations. Please refer to the Accommodations page for more information.
- Students must be available to arrive the Thursday prior to the module start date to allow sufficient time to register, contact the elective department, view the campus, and get settled into the living quarters.
- Students must depart Kansas City on the last Saturday morning of the module in order to vacate the International Accommodations for new incoming students.
- If accepted, a student must provide proof of health, medical evacuation and repatriation insurances. Except where noted, all plans require a minimum coverage of 3 months.
Accident & Illness Provisions
- Minimum of $100,000 per accident or illness
- Maximum deductible of $500 per accident or illness
Medical Evacuation Provisions
- Minimum of $50,000 allowed for expenses related to the medical transport to home country
- Minimum of $25,000 allowed for expenses in the event of death related to the transport of bodily remains to home country.
- Proper attire for KUMC senior medical students includes dress pants, a dress shirt, and a tie for males. Females may wear a calf-length skirt or dress pants with a blouse. This is the acceptable attire unless specified by the department. Short white coats will be provided. These are worn by all medical students at KUMC.
To initiate the application process, students meeting eligibility and program requirements are encouraged to submit an Online Application Request Form.
Last modified: Dec 09, 2020